Support thread - shooter bp project

Any new stuff coming? :slight_smile:

When the update comes out ?

There’s new stuff to come, but I can’t give you dates…

Could I get a link to the discord please?!

I’m also having an issue and I have no idea what happened. I was messing around in the animation blend spaces to change the run speed from 480 to 600 and now when I hit play and walk forward, the character shoots off to the left. I have no idea what’s happening or why, or even how to fix it now.

Edit: I’ve narrowed it down to only happening when the character has two weapons I added in its inventory. It doesn’t do it if the second weapon is set to none or a demo one all together. And, if I flip the order of the weapons I added it doesn’t do it. What the heck is going on?

Edit 2: I also would like to disable the 2nd inventory slot altogether anyways so that’s not that big of a deal. As well as disable the attachment selector button. How can I do this without getting an error when the second inventory slot is set to none?

Edit 3: I also seem to have an issue with the aimpoints. I have it set up properly as far as I can tell. Hit “V” and the sight switches to the canted sight. But, if I hit “V” again, it lowers the gun in the view and switches to back to the uncanted, hit “V” again, and it switches to the lowered canted sight. Then hitting “V” another time raises the sight back to the proper position in the uncanted view. There is no aimpoint that is set that low/high on the gun, (can’t tell if its up or down) to make the gun lower like that.

Yes, you’re very welcome to the Discord server! I need to send you the invite privately, could you please send me you Order ID in private? If you want to see your Order IDs, just login to unrealengine.com, hover over your username, then click Personal → Transactions.

The thing is that BlendSpaces have no effect on gameplay mechanics, it only changes animations. I suspect you changed something in the blueprint code accidentally. What do you mean by the character shoots off to the left?

Sounds like you accidentally changed some code in the blueprints…

You’ll get errors when you remove something the code is trying to access. You should remove the item from the array instead of setting it to none. Better yet, remove it from the StartingGunsInventory array so it’s not even created in the 1st place, if you don’t want it.

Are you sure you don’t have ‘extra’ aimpoint sockets laying around in your gun or skeleton (or attachment) that don’t correspond to any existing physical sight? Because I’ve never seen the view go to ‘extra’ places without aimpoints before…

The thing is that BlendSpaces have no effect on gameplay mechanics, it only changes animations. I suspect you changed something in the blueprint code accidentally. What do you mean by the character shoots off to the left?

Sounds like you accidentally changed some code in the blueprints…

If I did, and to be totally honest I don’t remember changing anything other than the character mesh, I don’t know what it was. I did try adding it to the same project a second time to overwrite the files in the event that I actually did mess something up but it didn’t seem to fix what ever I broke. I mentioned the blendspace because it happened right after I was messing with it. I’ll change something, test, change back if I have to, test, repeat. I messed up somewhere, just don’t know what it was that I messed up. But I can show you this in the discord if you wish by sharing my screen with you.

Are you sure you don’t have ‘extra’ aimpoint sockets laying around in your gun or skeleton (or attachment) that don’t correspond to any existing physical sight? Because I’ve never seen the view go to ‘extra’ places without aimpoints before…

Ummmm…no…I’m not sure…but now I’m definitely going to double and triple check everything. I was only looking on the rifle, didn’t think to check the character.

Edit: I figured out the aimpoint issue.

Transfering BPs from one project to another is already a change, BPs interact and depend on each other, as well as on other project assets. If you want to better track down your issue, you could try bringing your character mesh and weapon/attachment meshes to the SGS original project, then making sure they work there, according to the video instructions. This will eliminate many possibilities. From there you can try to begin merging the project with yours, and this is the actually hard part, where you’ll need to merge BPs.

Hi dev. May I ask if there is a solution to dampen the shake of the camera or the controller which affects the camera when firing continuously, as it is tied to the recoil of the system? I would like the recoil more on the weapon and arms and lessen the effect to the camera. thank you

Yes, open the camera shake blueprint (B_FireShake) and adjust the oscillation values to your liking. Or change the scale in the node that plays the camera shake in the Fire event of the gun BP. Or remove this node from the Fire event…

ow its still there. probably this is an inherent shake as whenever the gun or camera goes up and recovers and if it recoils again during continuous fire. Without the camera shake its even more robotic looking and the camera shake adds a more organic feel to it.
Do you have any suggestions how we can limit this inherent shake without the camera shake? Thank you

There’s no other CameraShake, but the screen will go up each shot due to recoil and down between shots due to recoil recover. This causes a shake, but without the actual ‘CameraShake’ asset. The recoil and the recover are controlled in the LocalFire function and in the Tick event of the B_GunParent BP, but you can adjust the values of the ‘Customization - Recoil’ vars in the Details panel of each of your guns BP. Basically, the bigger the values of DefaultRecoilPerShot and RecoilRecoverWhileShooting the more the screen will shake.

1 Like

Noted dev. Thank you

May I ask if it would be possible to have a threshold or dampening on the recoil going up like it starts on the default but at a certain angle the recoil going up is less pronounced or is dampened? Not sure if a curve would work for that or calculating from the starting point to certain rotation and have lower values of recoil when it reaches a certain point.

Yes, it’s 100% possible, it only depends on the math you write on the code. Right now it adds a constant amount (RecoilPerShot) to pitch at each shot, inside the LocalFire function. You’d need to create additional math to lower the value with each shot. Also don’t forget that there’s also code in-place in the EventTick of the gun that gradually removes all the recoil that was added (recoil recover). It works in conjunction with the code in the LocalFire that adds the recoil each shot.

Hi. whats on the new update?

I released a new version but now I reverted back to the previous one, because the previous one turned out to be actually easier work with.

The new version was an attempt to make it easier to get around the UE4 crash that can occur if you setup skeleton retargeting while you have virtual bones. I removed the virtual bones, setup the retarget manager, then re-added the virtual bones. This solves the crashing, but when you download the new project you end up having to repeat these actions anyway so it’s better to work from the previous version.

So, basically, if UE4 crashes when you attempt to retarget animations, do these steps:

EDIT: These steps are no longer necessary, the new update fixed this issue! Please let your Epic Launcher download the latest version!

1- double click on the UE4_Mannequin_Skeleton provided
2- on the bone names list on the left, delete the two virtual (blue) bones: VB hand_r and VB hand_l and save the skeleton
3- click on “Retarget Manager”
4- scroll down to Select Rig and select “Humanoid Rig” (if it’s already selected, clear it completely, save the skeleton, then select “Humanoid Rig” again) and save the skeleton (again)
5- re-add the two virtual bones as instructed at the end of the instructions video (VB hand_r is child of the head and targets hand_r and VB hand_l is child of VB hand_r and targets hand_l) and save the skeleton
7- retarget the anims normally

What happened to this pack if you don’t mind me asking?

At the moment it’s not for sale, but as always it’s in your Epic’s Vault if you acquired it. Thanks for your interest!

EDIT: it’s back on the store now.

I have been relentlessly trying to retarget the mannequin to a metahuman character (M_Tal_Nrw) for the past week or so with little success. When re-targeting the skeleton the engine crashes, despite following your prior instructions… I tried manually doing everything but it resulted in the hands being way off the weapon :confused: . Do you know if this system will work with metahuman?

Hey, have you read the Epic’s guide to retarget anims form the mannequin to the metahuman skeleton?

Epic’s guide for the Metahuman from the Marketplace

Epic’s guide for the Metahuman from the Metahuman Creator

I have just retargeted my idle M4 anim to the metahuman from the Marketplace (of course, deleting the virtual bones form my skeleton first, as I explained here **- EDIT: With the new update you no longer need to delete and re-add virtual bones! Please let your Epic Launcher download the new update). Please tell me if you’re able to retarget after reading the Epic’s guides. If not, tomorrow I’ll record a video of me doing the retargeting.

Also remember that when it comes to retargeting, hands position on the weapon are never supposed to be exactly as original, because different skeletons have different bone sizes. It’s usually ok for 3rd person games, but for 1st person games you’ll probably need to adjust your final result (or use anims made specifically for that character).