Shaping the edge of a material

Good morning :slight_smile:

I have a question about being able to shape the edge of a material to a dynamic set of values using ???. I can generate a list of values which determine where I want to draw the edge of the material but do not know how to apply them to the material to achieve the desired effect.

This image is an example of the effect I am trying to achieve on a very simple scale. There will be may combinations possible so creating textures to represent different situations will not be possible.
GjNINOt.png

What would the best way to pursue this be? Using UVs and alpha? Does anyone know of a node that might be useful for this?

I was thinking I could use several instances of the FG material and create a curve like this:
qYU5kYQ.png,
but that will have a host of other challenges to overcome in order to achieve the effect I would like.

I would like this to be a UI material as well but could do with it not being and just capture it and render it for the UI.

Thank you

I’ve been experimenting with TexCoord and using masks for that and doing operations using the vector length. I have also been adding in some input parameters but haven’t really been able to nail down the kind of effect I want. Lots of wavy crazy things :).

I guess I don’t really understand the parallels of shaders that exist in materials. I have some limited experience with shaders writing some custom things using libgdx and want to find things like 'pixels distance from left side, from right side, mouse or other arbitrary location, etc. Are there some simple nodes in materials that do these things?

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated :slight_smile:

I guess basically what I am looking for is a screenposition node that works with the user interface materials. Also, any tips on how to apply that information. :slight_smile:

Well it seems like I was just really over complicating things. I was trying to blend in textures for alpha and all that stuff. I can do everything I want just with the Texture Coordinates and some conditional statements applied to the opacity. Then I can drive the shape with parameters in a material instance and all is great. I even added in a little noise :slight_smile:

aOE8tUK.png