Setup.bat halts with popup

I am trying to setup automated builds on a windows VM but this snippet from the Setup.bat is opening a dialog box asking me a yes / no question about setting file types.

if not exist .\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UnrealVersionSelector-Win64-Shipping.exe goto :no_unreal_version_selector
.\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UnrealVersionSelector-Win64-Shipping.exe /register
:no_unreal_version_selector

Can we have a way to skip this step or make it run silently for automated builds?

This might be a stupid question, but did you run SETUP.EXE as administrator? Also, what branch are you using from GITHUB. When you say automated, not sure what you mean…??

teak

By automated, I mean running on an automated build machine (similar to Jenkins or TeamCity etc) so no person is around to click Yes to the dialog.

The setup.exe was running as administrator and I’m using the 4.11 branch from Github. It is easy enough for me to work around, we just modify the Setup.bat in our own branch, but I was hoping Epic could adjust their tooling to support build automation correctly.

@cammm I also bumped in to this issue. Could i please know what **modifications **did you do in the setup.bat??

1 Like

Also running into this same issue. Any insight into this?

Just remove those three lines. You don’t need to run the Unreal Version Selector on build machines where nobody will be double-clicking files manually.
Alternatively, arrange for the EXE file it’s checking for, to already exist, through some additional setup script or somesuch, and the if statement will prevent it from doing anything extra.
It doesn’t even have to be the “real” tool – it could be a small dummy binary you build that just returns 0 from main.