Download

Self-Shadowing Materials

Hey folks,

I was quite surprised about the performance of the BumpOffset-Node and so far got some quite nice-looking gravel and sand-materials for my landscape.
However, the lack of self-shadowing is obvious :smiley: This would improve the materials a lot as the map is set in late afternoon-lighting with incident sun light at low angles.

I tried this approach that worked quite well in UDK3 but now does not seem to work anymore. It tells me that the “LightVector”-Node can only be used in deffered materials or decals?

Any hints on that?

Thank you!

Push
Does someone has an idea of how to approach that? I have a couple of materials that would really benefit from it. I got the bumpoffset to look really nice but it would be soo good if the bumps would actually cast shadows…

Could you post some images of what you’re referencing?

Hey Hackmet -

I provided a solution to this on the answerhub here, https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/86285/undefined.html

The difficult part is that a material cannot directly reference lighting anymore due to the deferred rendering pipeline and you have to use a Dynamic Material Instance with Vector and Scalar parameters in Blueprints to call reference of the lighting.

Hope this helps out.

Hey, thanks! This looks extremely interesting; Iam going to give it a try tomorrow :slight_smile:
Hmm, and yes, it sounds performance-heavy, so I guess it’s recommendet to use this only on few instances…