Download

Sculpting across TWO terrain objects. Can it be done?

SO, I am working on a project that has large outdoor areas built from terrain.

In order to allow multiple artists to work in different parts of the outdoor area, the space is made up of multiple terrain objects.

The problem I have is, I am not able to do any sculpting where the two terrain objects connect\meet.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

I basically want to be able to select multiple terrain objects and edit them as one, then check them back into perforce as individual objects.

Make sense? Help?

As far as I know this is not possible, but there is a workaround that you could use :slight_smile:

1. create your landscape as one single part
  2. edit it
  3. when you are finished, open the gizmo tool and export the heightmap of the first part + after you did it, delete the copied part and save your level
  4. open a new level - go to the landscape tab - import the heightmap - save the level

or do it this way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCZ7ppnNRDo ^^

The easiest way to do this is via World Composition and using Tiled Landscapes.

Makes it super easy to edit hundreds of landscape components and levels without any border issues.

I currently have a 32km landscape made up of 1009x1009 tiles at 200%. Painting textures and sculpting the ground between the levels works perfectly.

Thanks all, for feedback so far! Super helpful.

@Thorax, is it a single landscape object? Or is it multiple landscape objects?

In other words, if they were implemented into PERFORCE, can you check out the individual tiles?

Yes, they are made into separate maps for each landscape chunk.

When you export a tiled map from WM or whatever else. You get files named “Output_x0_y0.r16, Output_x0_y1.r16, Output_x0_y2.r16” and so on. Each of these can be anything upto the max size suggested here. Higher res tiles will obviously take a lot longer to export.

Then, when you create a persistent map, and enable World Composition in the world properties. You can import a tiled landscape via the levels window. You can set the scale and such for the entire landscape there and it shows you the dimensions of the entire landscape in km. I personally set the scale to 200x200x1000. In world machine i set the max altitude to 5km, because afaik, thats the largest you can fit in one worldspace. So theres no point making anything higher than that.

Anyway, when its done importing all the tiles, each one is loaded into its own separate level including a level bounds volume.

The persistent level holds the sunlight, sky dome, fog and whatnot, and you can load each world tile individually inside that. Or load up the level files separately to work on them, but you wont have the atmosphere this way unless you drop in some temp sky and stuff. Best to load it in the persistent world and set the level you are working on as the active map.

Hope this helps!