Rough Node in the Material- does it take Tga files or is it just a single float or a contVector 3?

I have a targa file that has part of it painted White and Part of it painted Black.I hook the texture up to the Roughness node it doesnt listen to the texture. I would expect the white sections would have a roughness of 1 and the black would translate to a roughness of 0. I went and plugged in a constantVector3 just to make sure I wasnt crazy and it worked. I made the color white and it would completely rough and then made the color black it was smooth. does the Roughness node not take values from Targa textures?

Try connecting just the R channel output to the roughness input. The roughness is expecting a gray scale output and may not like the RGB output.

When I change the viewmode from Lit to Reflective, in this mode it should represent the Roughness map right? When Im in lit mode the sections that are reflective look reflective and the parts that are not reflective are being reflective, so it appears to be working. I guess my understanding of the reflective view mode is wrong? I just assumed that when I make parts of the roughness texture white , the reflectivity would be non existent in the Reflective view mode. I even exported maps out of substance painter and into unreal and sub painter exported the ambient,metal,roughness into 1 targa file and then plugged the corresponding channels into the nodes in unreal and same result. In reflective view mode it appears to not respect the roughness values but in LIT mode there is reflective separation…i dont know.

So I think I was misunderstanding the ViewMode Reflections. There is a Rougness viewmode that shows me the correct output from the rougness maps but I guess I just assumed the ViewMode Reflections would be a representation of the roughness map. I read on the unreal page that the Reflection mode is there to show you how much reflection detail your getting and not so much about whats suppose to be reflective in the scene.

If you want to see the correlation between Roughness and Reflections(SSR, Sky Light, and local cubemaps), you can use the Detail Lighting viewmode, or just the standard Lit mode. The Roughness viewmode is straight from the GBuffer as outputted to by the material, while the Reflections viewmode shows the Reflections themselves - which is super helpful to check what local cubemap is affecting a surface, or even what it or the Sky Light captured, although I prefer to use a chrome sphere for that.

Thanks, I guess I was just not expecting to see reflections on objects that werent reflective in the Reflection mode. In the detail lighting viewmode it looks correct. I was just freaking out when I was on Reflection view mode and everything was reflective. haha. I was like umm what the heck is going on. I spent forever trying to fix it when nothing was broken. ha Im a fool.