Rotation for Capsule Component of Character is sometimes being read as all 0's

I’m sure I’m doing something wrong here, but this one is baffling to me right now. I originally had the player as a Pawn, but I decided to make it inherit from Character instead to get CharacterMovement. I have some abilities that were previously reading from the mesh’s rotation to determine which direction to fire a shot. Now those abilities are reading from the Capsule Component’s rotation instead, and it works fine most of the time. Other times the rotation is read as all 0’s (most importantly the Yaw is 0 when it shouldn’t be).

Take a look at this video for a sample of what I mean.
https://vid.me/aQYo

Notably, when I walk past that dividing line, every shot reliably goes up and ignores the position of my mouse. When I’m not past that dividing line, 99 times out of 100, a shot will go in the direction of my mouse as intended. 1 time out of 100 when I’m in a normally “good” area of the map, a shot will go up and ignore my mouse position. Most interestingly, you can see the mesh is clearly looking at my mouse cursor, and I have every reason to believe the Capsule is pointing in that direction as well. Yet, when I try to read the Capsule’s rotation for that spell, it gets broken sometimes.

I tried using the Mesh’s rotation instead of the Capsule, but it suffers from the same issue. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this would be much appreciated. Back when I had the player as a Pawn, I believe it was all fine.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I made a workaround by grabbing the rotation that I’m setting the Capsule to and sticking it into a variable, then reading that variable in my spell functions. It no longer mis-reads the rotation like that, but I feel like I’m covering up something nasty that will bite me later. Why is the Capsule Rotation unreliable?