Download

Replication & client side prediction

First of all, I apologize if this is not the correct forum. My question didn’t really fit in either Blueprints or C++ as it’s a more general question regarding the engine.

I’m curious to know what kind of client side prediction (if any) is built into the engine as far as replicated objects go. Say I send player input to the server and allow the server to handle the movement of the player pawn. Is there any client side prediction that happens automatically or do I should I also be running a similar movement algorithm on the client to avoid any kind of delay between the player pressing the button and the movement happening?

Obviously while testing everything on my machine this delay would be insignificant however I’m concerned about when a true remote player is connected to a dedicated server instance. On other networking frameworks that I’ve dealt with in the past I’ve had to essentially run the same exact code on both the client and remote machine to keep the movement smooth for the client while also making sure the server is synced up with the client.

On a similar topic, is there any kind of network diagnostics built into the engine so that I can see how much data is being sent back and forth between the server and client?

Hey SSnowman -

I am going to direct you here](Does UE4 have client-side prediction built in? - UE4 AnswerHub) in the AnswerHub where the question about client side prediction was answered. For your second question about network diagnostics, there is a command line argument “NETWORKPROFILER: Enable network profiler tracking.” Here is the setup information.](https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/CHN/Programming/Basics/CommandLineArguments/index.html#serveroptions)

Hey, I hope you see this. Pawn class that I am controlling isn’t replicated. So I need to constantly send my inputs to server, who then replicates to clients, however there’s a latency of like a million seconds (over exaggerated). Does this mean I will have to do client prediction, or what can I do to smooth things out, this is only LAN play, not WAN play. Any suggestions?