Referencing static meshes in Blueprints

Hi,

I made a BP of a simple fan. It consists of two static meshes, the rim and the fan(blades):

b79b21d12dd54b347362d28dfa92dc7c335ced3e.jpeg

Now I set up some nodes for the rotation.
It works and rotates, but it rotates the entire ensemble. I want to reference only the fan mesh to be affected by the rotation.
Somehow it doesnt let me specify a target for the rotation. How do I specify that target :confused:
If I create a normal variable reference (get), it says that they are not compatibleā€¦

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers,
Klaus

I think itā€™s because in your components the Rim is the root object.
Click ā€œAdd Componentā€ and scroll the whole way down and click ā€œSceneā€.
Drag both meshes in to the Scene object so the Scene object is the root and then drag the Fan mesh out of the Rim mesh in to the Scene object so itā€™s not a child of the Rim mesh.
Root.JPG
Make it look like the image above, the names are different because Iā€™m just using my own asset as an example.

Let me know if this helps! :stuck_out_tongue:

Hello,
you add rotation to the actor which is the blueprint, so all components. You have to add rotation to the component.
from your fan variable drag a wire and type add rot then youā€™ll have your add rotation for component.

Hi,

I tried it but did not work.
Besides, the Fan would still be a sub object. In both cases, being the child of the rim, or a child of a scene object (together with the rim), I cant connect the nodes.

Any help is appreciated :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Klaus

EDIT: @Fen

Thanks. Its working now. Just saw your post nowā€¦ :smiley: