Download

Recording gameplay at end-user level, allowing playback?

I’m not really sure where to begin with this; Matinee, Sequencer, Demorec/online, etc.

What I want to do:

1. Allow the player to start recording gameplay, then save that recording
  2. Allow the player to view that recording played back, as a sequence of game events (not a video file) that they can then fly a camera through.

Demorec allows this to some extent, but it’s heavily limited by the fact that it’s meant to record demos server-side. It requires everything be set up to replicate online (which I don’t even think is possible), and even if I could get it working it seems from my limited testing that it doesn’t play nice with level streaming (preferring, when loaded, to just load every sublevel simultaneously on top of one another. Also the flythrough camera is perpetually stuck in the wall that happens to cross 0,0,0, but that’s theoretically a simple fix)

Matinee seems like it might allow this, but frankly I can’t figure out how to expose ANY of it to the end-user if such a thing is even possible (at least Demorec can be called via commandline, enabling me to fake it).

Sequencer has no documentation anywhere and I can’t even figure out what it’s supposed to do but I can’t find any record button anywhere on it, so IDK.

If this is possible, can someone please, please, please explain to me (like you’d explain to a total idiot) how to get it working.

I am also very interested in getting something like this working. As far as I know, the multiplayer demo recording seems to be the only way to make this work. I’ve not yet looked into it, but would be very interested if you discover anything.