Recommendations for a PC for Unreal?

Hey guys,

In order of importance, m looking to run…

First

• Photoshop large documents
    -Lots of tabs open at same time in Firefox and Chrome

Second

Music (Currently my PC loads VSTs quite slowly)

• FL Studio
  • Kontakt

**Third **

• ZBrush
  • Maya ( Mainly for the general UI for sculpt, retopo, rigging , UVs, etc, very little rendering, Im mainly looking to render real time in UE4)
  • Substance Painter and Designer
  • Marmoset Toolbag
  • Unreal Engine 4 (For real-time cinematic shorts)
  • 3DS Max (Just a little, very little rendering)

Fourth(Negligible/Very rare uses)

Any Recent Games

Im comparing my own build to this pretty great Most Bang for Buck Prebuilt by Microcenter called Powerspec
Its the model G221

They advertised for 850, but right now its…

TOTAL 899 (w/out tax)

Heres their specs

http://www.powerspec.com/systems/sys…selection=G221

Im looking to build…

- Ryzen 5 1600 - 200$ (W/Wraith Cooler)

[FONT=Times New Roman]- GTX 1050ti-145$ - Crucial 16GB Single DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DR x8 Unbuffered DIMM 288-Pin Memory - CT16G4DFD824A =$138

[FONT=Times New Roman]- 960 EVO series Samsung SSD= 117.60 (Looking to use my external HDDs as storage) - ASUS Prime B350-Plus AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4 HDMI DVI VGA M.2 USB 3.1 ATX B350 Motherboard = 90$
(Also open to recommendation on a MOBO with 4 or more USB 3.0 ports, in this MOBO its only 2 USB 3.0

• Power) Corsair cx650m = 70$

**- **[FONT=Times New Roman]50$ for case
Open to recommendations!

-Removable dust filter
-No other dust holes
-Great circulation for cool and quiet

810 TOTAL

After 8.875% tax
881.84$

“My current Build…” this is build that you have right now, am I right? If so in my opinion your build is good, just get better graphic card.

@Sadaleus
Ah so sorry, by current meaning, looking to Buy

PS

Also open to recommendation on a MOBO with 4 or more USB 3.0 ports, in this MOBO its only 2 USB 3.0

What kind of GPU would you recommend?

Ive heard that the GPUs are more expensive right now due to a certain reason?

Any ideas guys?

For GPU, I would go with either a GTX 1070 or 1080. I have a 1080, and it chews up anything I can throw at it. It’s quiet and overheating is not a problem. I don’t have any liquid cooling or anything like that either. Just fans. If you had to choose were and how to prioritize your money, I would lean towards the CPU. Based on your list of software priorities, I would say CPU is more important. As most people say, it is easier to upgrade your GPU than it is your CPU. Start strong there.

However, if 850 is your budget, you can certainly get a long just fine with an i5 processor or AMD equivalent (however I’m an Intel guy all the way!) Computation times will be longer, but not that much longer. Especially since you mentioned rendering as the least of your priorities, you won’t need a top end CPU.

Would the stronger GPU really be that impactful?
Im already quite over my budget.

The only reason i was thinking of getting a decent GPU was because I heard that Photoshop uses the GPU more heavily that even Maya for realtime tasks.

So I just wanted a GPU that would help the CPU reach its max potential…

GPU is the most important piece of hardware for real time performance within UE4. A more powerful CPU will generally only help with baking/render/compiling (although baking within some applications like Substance use the GPU).

If you are planning to do a lot of CPU baking and rendering, a more powerful CPU would make a big difference, but most likely you’ll benefit more from a better GPU.

Do you need more than 2 USB 3.0 ports? If not then why bother with more empty ports.

I would go with GTX 1060 over the 1050 ti but you can compare the performance with the price to figure out if it is beneficial for you. There is no need to go crazy with the GPU since the CPU needs to be balanced with it or it will end up being the bottleneck and the extra GPU power will start to fade away.
A rule of thumb for gaming is to keep the GPU and CPU in the same price range.

Would you happen to know how far the GPU- CPU ratio of imporatnce and usage would be in…

Photoshop) for large PS documents like PSB files
and
just regular usage of Maya (not many renders, mostly general realtime UI) without lag?

Oh thank you for that!

Is there any statistics of which CPU and GPU bottleneck each other?

For example what would go good with Ryzen 5 1600 and Ryzen 7 1700 respectively?

The reason for the extra usb ports was because I also do music so the audio interface and midi instruments also are connected by USB, and also my wireless mouse and keyboard, plus my external HDDs

I don’t know of any specific statistics for it since it depends on so many factors that the sheet would be enormous but you can find tests being made of hardware in certain software.
Software itself is not balanced. Some require more CPU power while others require more GPU, but by balancing your system you are able to deal with a wider range of software. Most games tend to be more GPU heavy but there are exceptions where things like AI require more from the CPU. Development software often require more CPU power and less GPU. With Unreal Engine your CPU has a render thread so if the CPU has too few threads or the thread is slow it will start to show on the GPU performance.

Do all those devices benefit from USB 3.0? In my experience some devices do the exact same thing with 3.0 and a few don’t even work properly with 3.0 if they where built for 2.0

To be honest, no they dont all benefit from 3.0
But they all seem to work at least?

Why do you ask btw?

Well if you are interested in saving some money on the motherboard you could go with one with less USB 3 ports.