Raytracing/Lumen and Foliage Commands

Hey guys,
I think it could be useful to collect here some, partly hidden commands related to raytracing of Foliage.
Please comment other usefull stuff for this topic

• r.RayTracing.Geometry.InstancedStaticMeshes.Culling 0 → makes foliage visible in raytracing

• r.Shadow.DistanceScale → higher values means higher distance of raytraded shadows

• set evaluate world position offset in details panel → raytracing for moving parts like leaves

for Lumen and the MovieRenderQuene you now need 2 start console commands and adjust them to your scene:

• foliage.DensityScale depends on your viewing range for my scene a value of 30

• foliage.MaxTrianglesToRender depends on your scene but a really high amount is needed, for me 400000000

2 Likes

Dude - that’s the trick! Where did you find that? I cannot find it in the docs. I will have to bookmark this. I have found links to RayTracing.InstancedStaticMeshes.Culling but it did not fix my foliage shadows. But this does.

For others trying to search for this; If your foliage shadows are being culled/clipped in the distance this is the command to fix it.
r.RayTracing.Geometry.InstancedStaticMeshes.Culling 0

unfortunately this was not described in the docs, it was just try trial and error :smiley:

Are you serious? I wasted 3hrs of my day until your gem of an answer saved me from pulling all my hair out. How can this not be a button in the project settings, or even better in the post process settings?