's Vertex Snap Editor Plugin, Download for You!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]New Plugin Version Release!

Your Requested Features Have Been Implemented!

Your requested change makes my Snap to Surface Normal feature SO much more effective!

If you wiggle mouse right and choose right camera angle, you can get some really great alignments without much effort!

Snap to Surface Normal:

Hold down Shift and also V, while mousing over target vertices

**Eternally Grateful**

I am going to hold you too this Bigzer :) 

;)

Description on Wiki page:

https://wiki.unrealengine.com/'s_Vertex_Snap_Editor_Plugin#Newest_Editor_Feature:

New Display Options

Now pressing the U key is a display toggle!

Default = only show the vertex the mouse is hovering over

Press U once to show all vertices

Press U again to show no vertices

Press U again to be back to showing cursor-highlighted vertices only
etc

New Workflow(3/27/14)

Press V to select a vertex

Hold down V to continuously snap to vertices of other highlighted meshes

Release to finalize the move

New Snap to Surface Normal Workflow

Press V and and also hold down shift

If you fiddle with your approach angle and move the mouse little bits, you can get some really great normal alignments without much effort

**New Download**

https://wiki.unrealengine.com/%27s_Vertex_Snap_Editor_Plugin#Plugin_Download

Direct Download

Direct Download Link

Enjoy!

Thank you!
As soon as it’s ready I’ll test this and let you know how it works out. I still have to replace about 300 meshes on this first map alone so I’ll be in great position to give actual workflow feedback ^^

Haha ok you where faster than me!
Let me test it out before I sign in the forever grateful contract with my blood =D

Alright I’ve tried it and it works.

It isn’t exactly the same as in unity and maya but its actually better (no mistakes possible or fighting to snap to the right vertex)

I love you!

http://s30.postimg.org/jtjerezn5/preview.png

Oh by the way in your wiki page (A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums)
perhaps you should change;

[/Script/Engine.Engine] UnrealEdEngine=/Script/VictoryBPLibrary.VictoryEdEngine

into

[/Script/Engine.Engine]
UnrealEdEngine=/Script/VictoryBPLibrary.VictoryEdEngine

Thank you again, I owe you one!

I’ll give you some feedback after a day of work with it but the first thing I notice is that changes are not undoable.

Yaaaaay!!!

hee hee!

I’m glad its better even!

Yea I dont know how to add undo changes to Epic’s undo system, definitely something I would like to know more about if anyone knows how to do that :slight_smile:

Thanks for this . Nice work.

I have to say the way it works is awesome, you can duplicate a mesh, click on a vertex move across the entire level, click on the destination vertex and you’re good. Very cool my productivity increased by 10 fold.

For the undo I can’t help you sorry :(. This said if they don’t already have something convenient in place I’m quite sure its going to happen or be documented soon because it’s at the core of the editor experience.

One issue I notice is that the plugin expects a destination vertex as soon as you press V for the second time. So as a result if you hit the V for the second time without a selection, it will snap randomly on the first vertex your mouse hovers.
It happens to me quite a lot by mistake and because we don’t have the undo feature its annoying especially when the thing snapped on the sky sphere.
I think it evens occurs when you past stuff with ctrl+v

How to solve?
Make sure it snaps only to a vertex that’s actually being highlited when you press V. If no destination vertex is highlited don’t snap anything until you repress V again when a destination vertex is highlighted.

Also maybe it would be a good idea to disable sky spheres from snaps, though with the above fix it might not be a problem anymore, no idea yet.

Another small problem I notice is the ‘drop to floor’ feature. It doesn’t work for me, when I use it the mesh moves a bit down but not entirely (about 1 meter remaining). Curiousely all meshes I drop on floor seems to fall at the same height in the air.
The meshes I use have their centerpoints on the bottom corner of the meshes. The floor I use is a simple flat mesh. I tried with meshes with scaled at 1 and 100 and they both have the same issue.
Also curiously, if I repeatedly press Y it starts to move on the side at what appears to be fixed offsets in one direction.

Hahaha I have to admit this made me laugh :slight_smile:

Yea I should fix that

About the dropping to the floor thing, That worked great in the beta build, but I’ve not figured out the issues in new build, I’ve seen that issue to.

First goal will be fixing this:

“So as a result if you hit the V for the second time without a selection, it will snap randomly on the first vertex your mouse hovers.”

Hi !
This is great!!!

Question: how complex is to access the geometry of a mesh? I’m thinking to apply the same technique from Softimage using ICE ( visual scripting as well ) to UE4, and in order to do this I need to access the geometry of the mesh, mostly vertex position and store them into an array, then modify them using the existing tools/nodes inside blueprints.

Science fiction or doable within Blueprints right now?

“then modify them using the existing tools/nodes inside blueprints.”

you want to change the shape of the mesh itself?! altering vertex positions? !!!

:slight_smile:

Just making sure I get your question :slight_smile:

Basically yes, altering the mesh itself using Blueprints…think about kind of adding a modifier ( smooth, taper, turbolence modified in 3d studio max ) on the shape.

Here is a brief explanation ( this is just an example of many ) of what the system in Softimage does…in short it takes the point position of a mesh and the point position of an animated mesh, then it create a weightmap based on the average distance between the points of the two meshes.
Tension map using ICE

In short the most important thing is not doing exatcly whats in the linked video, but be to access the point position of a mesh in order to use them for different purposes, since using Blueprints you can access and create logic based on different scenarios ( animation and so on )

I have now fixed the sky sphere bug!

it was happening if you clicked on a new mesh and did not select a vertex, but then pressed V anywhere but on the mesh itself

Enjoooy!

Direct Download Link](https://d26ilriwvtzlb.cloudfront.net/f/fb/PLUGIN_VictoryBPLibrary.zip)

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]My Vertex Snap Plugin Now Works With UE4 Undo/Redo System

You can nowUndo/Redo all of your vertex snaps and surface normal snaps!

Yaay!

Wiki Link

Thats awesome congrats for the undo!

Downloading and installing right away.

Man I can’t imagine people not using this for level building!

Thanks a lot you’re the best, I’ll use it and let you know if there’s anything else I notice or if it’s already perfect ^^

Hee hee yup do let me know!

Your great suggestions made me do it!

:wink:

By the way, I forgot to mention, the mode that shows only 1 vertex at a time is kind of useless with the way it works now. So I suppose the U button could be used to just enable/disable the snap tool (enabling=showing all vertices and allows snap function).

Really? I rather like the show 1 vertex option, but I guess I know where the vertices are…

What exactly is useless about it compared to show all vertices?

If anyone has any other display preferences for the Vertices in my Vertex Snap Editor Mode do let me know!

Since I’m new, I haven’t known who you are for very long, but everything I see is off the scale and now I know why :slight_smile:

I’m looking at doing some shape modification in-game by the player, you think I could use your code or is it too tight with the Unreal Editor code?

You cant easily modify the positions of vertices relative to each other, is that what you mean?

:slight_smile: