's Multi-Threaded Dynamic Pathing System, Full Physics Support

Great video!
The pathing is very impressive and I have to say, it is really cool that it is your own code creation :cool:

Hee hee! Glad you like !

But waaait!

The best video of them all will be up in 4 minutes!!

Amazing as usual ! OMG, Epic hire him and have his awesome work integrated in the next build of Unreal Engine 4. :smiley:

**'s Multi Threaded Pathing System With Physics Support, In Action!

Here it is!

My own pathing system which I wrote from scratch, which has fully physics support and does dynamic recalculations whenever needed by each AI unit!

My system supports 400 units using it simultaneously, maintaining 60fps!

I wrote whole thing from scratch, the only interaction I have with UE4 movement code is the fact that I am apply velocity to the character movement component (which replicates by the way)!

Everything else is being calculated by my own system!

In video you can see as I dynamically place large physics simulating spheres and all the AI units form new paths around it within moments!

Enjooy!

https://youtube.com/YJ15cu9bmnE

Great work!

Do the dwarves navigate around each other as well?

So much fun to watch those dwarves find their path. :smiley: Really impressive! And now i wonder how it would look to have a herd of sheep like that and turn it into a sheep herding simulation. :stuck_out_tongue:

Btw, would be applicable for flying AI as well?

Haha that video is so awesome! The dwarf army of the sky, with dynamic pathing abilities… who can stop them?!? :wink: (although they seem to be overly fond of that purple stuff… maybe that’s their weakness!)

Great work! All of your projects look like so much fun!

Glad you like it ! Great to hear from you!

If you supply the sheep skeletal mesh and anims I can get going for you :slight_smile:

The flying AI system I made was trace based, but yes I could rework it to take advantage of the dynamic navigation system :slight_smile:

That will be the next step! Characters are not calculated in my dynamic mesh that I generate, as they should not be considered as impassible obstacles, instead one of two things

1. if stuck by a friendly, push them out of the way / request that they move

2. if stuck by a opponent, attack them!

3. if stuck by a sheep as per 's simulator, feed the sheep so they becomes satisfied and move out of the way

all of beyond the scope of my static/dyanimc/physics geometry detection system :slight_smile:

The purple stuff affects dwarven brains in a very particular way, leading to moments of sudden clarity, happiness, and inspiration, sort of like Catnip

PS: Glad you liked the video!

You asked for it! No sheep but here i prepared a trippy Epic cow with an idle and walking animations.

I cant wait to see what you come up with it! :eek:

Btw, it’s great to hear that can be adaptable to flying AI!

Wohoo!

Thank youuu !

:slight_smile:

Wow did you make those animations yourself?! The idle is really really good!

Yes!! I want to see one (or both?) of 2 things: a cow vs dwarf fight, each dwarf/cow dynamically finding a path to a dwarf/cow that has no fighting partner, so dynamic pathing with the ability to randomly chose which cow should fight which dwarf. Then whichever cow or dwarf is victorius, as a reward, send them to the reward zone so they can soak up that magical purple haze… haha! That would be so great :smiley:

I guess I could also deal with a single dwarf cow-herder telling the cows where to go using dynamic pathing (in other words, make the dwarf actually herd the cows into the pasture), have the dwarf call a command and have the cows calculate a new path towards their grazing field from their current location (make sure you fence it off to keep them cows in line!), and if herded successfully, the dwarf get’s his purple haze stuff and all is good. :slight_smile:

Oh, Jackie mentioned flying AI??? how about a Flying cows Simulator? Just find some angel wings, glue them on the back of the cow, and the dwarves will never know what hit them! :cool:

Oh yeah. Finally seeing the benefit of all the time i spent with cows and sheep. :o Seriously though, cow made me want to animate a proper animal, so i’ll let you know if i find and animate more herbivores!(imagine a herd of mustangs running across the landscape :eek: )

Btw, is free to use that cow for whatever reason you wish. Consider it a reward for keeping yourselves up to date with 's crazy stuff. :slight_smile:

Hey that’s awesome! Thank you , I don’t have any 4 legged beasts yet, so will be a lot of fun to play around with! :smiley: Thanks!

@ - Great update!
The dynamic path finding seems to be working like a charm. It is VERY neat to see the dynamic spheres dropped in the AI’s path and watch them make decisions in re-calculating the best route.

Quick question :: Does work only on a solid surface? For instance, could you tell a dwarf to jump across a gap if it was small enough? Can the dynamic path system you created do transitions like ?

Can’t wait to see more bud :slight_smile:

awesome stuff. So it works with elevation? A heightmap terrain or some area that has steep slopes? You gotta prevent that dwarves from falling to their death, right? :smiley:

+1 that would be very nice to have

Phenomenal Work as usual !

Something I’ve had in mind for a long time is having normal sized characters that have to navigate around physics obstacles while having a giant sized character that just pushes things out of the way in pursuit. I could go nuts with ideas, though don’t want to flood you.

If you’re thinking of selling on the market place, I’d probably buy it if it’s in my range :wink:

Out of curiosity, what are the specs of the system you’re running the tests on?

Unless they have the intelligence of Lemmings :stuck_out_tongue:

Funny you should ask !

I already made a gap detection/jump ability for my AI system in my Victory Game!

I had skeletons following me and jumping over gaps that I as the player had to jump over too!

So yea I could get that going real quick, already have the code for it!

The game I’m working on doesnt have falling damage, but yes I could teach my AI to do anything I want them to do, except maybe juggling. I can’t teach them how to do something I"ve not figured out yet myself :slight_smile: hee hee!

Wow, well that Cow idle anim was especially amazing!

It really looks like a living creature now thanks to you!

So yea! I am all for seeing more of your animated animal handiwork!

Intel Core i7, GTX 680, and um, I am not sure about the rest but it works :slight_smile:

oooh now there’s an interesting idea! I will be doing unit control soon so even YOU could be the cow-herder (optional reward of purple haze even 4 u)!

How does it perform on vast distances? Is it cheaper than Left 4 Dead style AI movement? (Guessing it probably is)

As of right now, does support behavior trees? It would be cool if when you released it (if you do :D), it came with a bunch of tasks the creator can use in behavior trees. :slight_smile: