Question for Epic or Community on EditInlineNew

Hey Guys,

I have a couple questions regarding the EditInlineNew and EditInline property specifiers. Let me first explain what I’d like to accomplish. What I am trying to do ultimately is create a Blueprint that can have the ability to dynamically create instances of objects in an array through the Properties Window on the right hand side of the UI and even elements within each instance. Here’s an example…

#pragma once

#include "Object.h"
#include "MyCustomObject.generated.h"

UCLASS(BlueprintType, EditInlineNew)
class MyCustomObject : public UObject
{
    GENERATED_UCLASS_BODY()

public:
    UPROPERTY(EditAnywhere, BlueprintReadWrite, Category = "My Custom Object")
    UStaticMesh *Mesh;

UPROPERTY(EditAnywhere, BlueprintReadWrite, Category = "My Custom Object")
    FTransform Offset;
};

However, using EditInlineNew or EditInline (on arrays) for that matter has no effect and only has a drop down that points to Actors in the scene. There is no option to create a new instance and select in this case the Mesh property or the Offset property and tweak it within the Properties Window. I’ve read around that many others are experiencing these issues but I haven’t seen a response from the developers at Epic yet on if this is a bug or if there are other pre-requisites the developer must implement. Any help on the matter would be much appreciated and thanks everyone! :smiley:

Question For Epic: If you guys get the to respond to this, can you take a moment to respond to my other Thread post “Loading Screen” in the Blueprints Visual Scripting Forum. Thanks :slight_smile:

Okay, so it looks like there was a bug that made Epic disable this for the time being…

In reference to cloud’s thread on the UE4 Answer Hub who appears to have the same issues, there seems to be a response from Epic
https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/29757/editinlinenew-not-working-in-editor-1.html?sort=newest

Well that’s good news it’s been resolved, hopefully it makes it into the next build soon! :smiley:

I have a quick question for Epic, did the fix for this make this into the 4.1.1 release on GitHub today? I was hoping to use the EditInlineNew feature to create somewhat of a level editor for my custom types by creating the instances directly within the properties window inside an array and being able to change their individual properties. The reasons why using a Blueprint to achieve this is important by speeding things up production wise is simply for being able to auto-snap/position/rotate/etc different static meshes based off of a set of socket points on a given StaticMesh. Thanks and keep up the great work guys!

Hi MC Stryker. I located the details on the bug report you referenced and, unfortunately, a fix does not appear to have made it into the 4.1.1 release. I cannot make any guarantees regarding when a fix will be available, but we do still have an open ticket for this issue to be resolved.

Have a great day!

Thank you very much for looking into this and really appreciate you getting back to me. I’ll keep my eyes open on the next couple of builds and good luck to you and the team on getting 4.2 complete! If you have an opportunity yourself or could ask someone on the team if they could take a look at my thread “Loading Screen” that I posted a little while ago on the Blueprint Visual Scripting forums, that would be great. I may not need a dedicated loading screen but it could come in handy and wanted to know the best approach for that.

Thanks again and take it easy!

That was my thread :smiley:

I was using my custom editor (C#/.NET) to create large variety of objects for my game (skills, units, abilities, etc.) and one of the main features of Unreal Editor that was important for me was EditInlineNew. That way I could create new instances of data and use that directly with C++ code without deserializing it from XML file. What is more I’m able to modify these classes in Blueprints so I don’t need separate scripting language.
I’m looking forward for that update. Thank you guys!