Download

Proper way to create and place a set of objects/assets?

Hello fellow devs!

I’ve recently started to work on a small game with one of my friends. We are working remotely and we’ve set up perforce for version control. He is the main person behind the level design, while I am the one who sets up the gameplay and functionality.

So when he was placing objects from the asset library, I’ve started to realize that the outliner starts to get really messy… We have a set of modular buildings which consist of multiple wall assets, roof, floors, lights and etc… He tried to group all objects which relate to a certain building into a single folder in the outliner, but that doesn’t really help out managing it properly…

What I ideally want is to have a single (blueprint?) file in my content folder, which I then drag to the scene, and it places a pre-built house with the lights and all already set up. This way I can set up a few different, pre-built houses (eg. house_big, house_small), instead of dragging a bunch of meshes into the scene and copying them over and over, which clusters the outline like crazy, as well as killing the optimization…

From what I know, the proper way to create what we want, is to create kind of a “preset” using blueprints (is it through structs or arrays of objects?)… but, I am not sure on the best way to approach this. I would appreciate any explanation, recommendation, or links that show how it is being done properly. I’ve tried to search the forums but whatever I was able to find was not exactly what I needed…

Thanks a lot in advance!