Project: Alembic Importer

Wow!! That is quite an impressive demonstration of the !
Do you have any news on the development, release plans ect? This is one of the features missing in UE4.

All the best,
Felix

Hey Ikrima. Awesome job with Shattered Reality and Senza Peso. Love them. I just wondered if you could explain how you achieve your backdrop/cityscape. Is that a prerendered 360 3d video as a skybox? If so how does it work? Totally understand though if you need to keep it a trade secret! Developing a few experiences of my own and you have achieved an amazing effect there.

The sounds great! Are there any news about it?

…and I was looking at an old thread, having some moderator saying: I’ts not a pressing issue, most games don’t need it!!! YAAAAAAAY, hope it will be very soon, shortfilms HERE WE COME!!! :slight_smile:

I have been looking for the file format for abc files for ages, can you share any links that describes the chunks in abc files?

Native support for alembic files is on the roadmap for July, let’s hope it won’t be postponed.
https://trello.com/c/fsOKztpO/73-alembic-importer

Has been postponed to August-September :frowning:

alembic support is something I’m really waiting for. I’m having issues trying to import animations from Daz Studio into Unreal…even if I stop in 3ds Max to fix few things between the two.

Now i’m sad…the support for alembic has been Wishlist/Backlog :frowning:

Any update on you guys releasing this as a ? Like BRF said they have unfortunately pushed back the alembic support to the wishlist instead of August/September release. We are attempting to do shattering animations similar to how you did in Insurgent and using the current vertex animation max script doesn’t quite cut it since its got an 8k texture max (the 1 i just tried exported as 52k*10k). Also loved the new project that you did for GE, works brilliantly, I have been working on using miniaturization to explore levels in VR for a while and it works great.

We haven’t really touched the alembic for 6+ months now; we’ve just been too swamped and after Insurgent, there wasn’t a project with a pressing need for Alembic. We’ve shifted focus to our 3D 360 that Epic just integrated into the engine and that’s only being worked on spare time while we focus on our game. If I can find some time, it’s on my list of things to flesh out but it’s not looking likely in the next 6 months

They integrated in your 3D 360 ? Any link to documentation on that? I have been working on a method for our client projects too. Any possibility of getting a copy of what you had for your alembic ? Don’t need something perfected but whatever you had gotten done would be great to give a go.

Can I second what ZoltanJr says? it would be fantastic if you could share your current Alembic code; perhaps we could collaborate to develop it further and possibly share it more widely? Our application area is using UE4 for cinematics, and Alembic is fast becoming the standard for the VFX industry.

BTW, how did you find the streaming performance? We did look at Alembic support in CryEngine, but found that the streaming would get constantly out of synch with the rest of the level, making it fairly useless for making movies… would be interested to hear if you had similar issues.

We really need the Alembic support for UE4 :frowning:

Any news about the Alembic support ? It will just open Unreal to a new era of content …

Alembic support would simply be fantastic. Still no news?

Is there any news on the Alembic ? Second i can’t get the Insurgent video to work in the editor, it crashes all the time. I could find 3d video (Bink) files which are stereoscopic files and i understood there must be an Alembic included also within this source folder?

Third i also heard that Epic itself is working on an *Alembic *, that they allready work on it from beginning 2015? Is there any progress on these topics? As an artist myself i don’t write code, i am dependent on the developments going. And if there is someone who can write a for video or video files, please contact me and i will see if i can pay some development costs.

Would love to know if there is any chance of the Alembic being released :slight_smile:

Has there been any news on this?

It would be very nice to have Alembic in UE4, in fact in my opinion is essential!!..