Procedural texture resolution

I’ve been making clouds using 3D noise and world space coordinates. It’s kinda fun.

I’ve noticed that when you get close the procedural texture becomes chunky though. In fact, sometimes distant texture results are chunky. Is there a way to control this? My guessderstanding of how it worked was always that the HLSL shader would run on each visible pixel in screen space after transforming it out of the viewport, so that nearer/bigger polygons rendered more pixels. I must be wrong about that though.

It’d be nice to have some understanding and some control over this, so that I could raise or lower the res of the surface in question.

How does all that work?

Okay I hope I understood that correctly.

The problem with the noise is that it’s not a texture and it can’t be mit-mapped. That’s why you get some weird results on far away objects.

But I kinda feel that someone of your skilllevel should already know that, so I’m confused on what you actually mean with the texture results being “chunky”?

Other way around, nothing to do with mip maps and it’s only apparent on near objects. How do you control material sample density when you don’t have a texture at all?

Here’s an example:

That’s 3D fast gradient noise, not a texture, so no mip maps. The plane it’s being drawn on is huge so I think that’s what is causing it. Upping the subdivision on the mesh doesn’t do anything though Can the detail be raised?