Problem with wavy mesh distance fields

Hi

So I have a problem which has been a thorn in my side for the past couple of days.

I’m building a VR archviz scene, based off a model sent to me in revit and touched up in maya.
I’ve imported everything into unreal, but the shadows were both fuzzy and wavy.

The scene has a moveable sun across the sky, which is set to ‘moveable’ and I have ‘generate mesh distance fields’ enabled in the project settings.

Messing around with the cascade shadow map settings solved the problem somewhat but the shadows are still slightly wavy. Changing some of the settings have resulted in other problems such as artifacts and the shadows moving with in the screenspace.

Visualising the mesh distance fields has revealed where the problem could be. A few of the meshes have sharp distance fields, but the majority of them are low res and wavy. I have upped the distancefield resolution in the mesh properties, but even maxed out at a resolution of 128 x 128 x 128, they are still horribly wavy.

I have a feeling somehow the meshes are different, but looking at them in both maya and unreal, I can’t seem to find where the problems are.

Does anyone here know what the problems could be as it seems strange to have pin sharp DF meshes on one wall and the opposite is terrible.

I’ve included screens of the problem and any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks abd have a good day