Prgram cant cause api-ms-win-downlevel-kernal32 blah blah dll is missing

trying to migrate to win ten is terrible

also get a real chromium programmer will ya

The DLL file “libcef. dll” is Chromium Embedded Framework (CEF) Dynamic Link Library and is used by many programs. This DLL file is digitally signed by Valve and is used by Steam and many other applications in their operation. … Press Windows + S, type “system information” in the dialogue box and open the application.

thats the dll thats crashing launcher all time as well

NO and they are censoring me saying stuff about 426 like , looks nice but wont run on my windows ten pc , and while i have win 7 and 426 running that api issue and libcef.dll keeps crashing an is signed by valve and yet steam runs perfectly on both boxes ROFL
i cant updaet the gt620 no more which is why i grabbed thsi slightly newer pc that came with windows ten
and a amd r230 2 gb card figuring the fx 6300 six core would be better hten a dual core 4 thread pc and its barely so cause ti wont use 3 of the logical processors in shader compiles even belnder dont liek it i had to use the LTS 2.83 OR use the debug graphiccard glitch script to sort for newer versions which tells me epic has no clue what is happenign and at min blender is aware of it
and remving my review that i cant use it cause your software wont work on my pc means guess what not able to review DUE TO TECHNICAL ISSUES there mister moderator
not on my end cause i have 424 and 425 installed and 426 on the win 7

no idea now it is popping up all time in 426 only and i dont know why

on windows ten its also no longer there and there is a windows/downlevel directory with a ton of these style in it but its not in there

I am running Win7 64bit with 32GB of RAM on an I7 processor, and when it wanted me to update UE4.26.1, that’s when I started getting this error. I have done as you have suggested & tried copying the .dll file from the system32 to win64 folder, but guess what? The file was already there. So I am getting this error now because of the engine update. It eventually does start, but I get this error every time I try to use UE4.26.1. I do not get this error using any other version of UE4 engines. So, as I have now tested this out, I have come to the conclusion that it is the UE4.26.1 engine update that has caused the problem for me. I do not get this error from the Epic Game Launcher, like some on this forum have. Sounds like Epic has missed something in their coding (hey, it happens, because I miss things when I do any coding). So, hopefully Epic will correct this and get us all back on track soon. In the meantime, I am still able to use UE4.26.1, but if it doesn’t work properly, I will go back to UE4.25.4 or an earlier version. The earlier versions work without this error. Hope everyone is doing well & keep on making those games.

This is all fine and good, IF you can find the dll. Why beat around the bush? If you have the correct dll file, why not upload it somewhere? Or at least point out where you found it at, please!

This worked for me … hope this helps.

These steps provide additional detail to extract the required file ([FONT=Courier New]api-ms-win-downlevel-kernel32-l2-1-0.dll).
Once installed, the annoying pop-up should disappear for Launcher and Editor (tested for UE 4.2.6.1)

Steps below cover Windows 7, 32-bit and Windows 7, 64-bit users only. For other Windows OS variants, the same approach should work; msu and cab files will differ.

Download files from: Microsoft Update Catalog

If you are running Windows 7, 32-bit, download file: windows6.1-kb4507456-x86_41556c1452fcaadce2984d9e4ee9fe6068f38e29.msu
If you are running Windows 7, 64-bit, download file: windows6.1-kb4507456-x64_6aa110cb2d01b8f291d1ea2c3cdc5e82204686ed.msu

a terminal session (cmd.exe) and issue these commands (no need to run as admin):

For Windows 7, 32-bit:
[FONT=Courier New]cd Downloads
[FONT=Courier New]expand -f:* windows6.1-kb4507456-x86_41556c1452fcaadce2984d9e4ee9fe6068f38e29.msu KB4507456_x86
cd KB4507456_x86
mkdir outfiles
expand -f:* Windows6.1-KB4507456-x86.cab outfiles

The file, api-ms-win-downlevel-kernel32-l2-1-0.dll can be found in the sub-directory:
[FONT=Courier New]outfiles\x86_microsoft-windows-a…xperience-inventory_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.24490_none_8c7fcdff467b9b18

For Windows 7, 64-bit:
[FONT=Courier New]cd Downloads
[FONT=Courier New]expand -f:* windows6.1-kb4507456-x64_6aa110cb2d01b8f291d1ea2c3cdc5e82204686ed.msu KB4507456_x64
cd KB4507456_x64
mkdir outfiles
expand -f:* Windows6.1-KB4507456-x64.cab outfiles

The file, api-ms-win-downlevel-kernel32-l2-1-0.dll can be found in the sub-directory:
[FONT=Courier New]outfiles\amd64_microsoft-windows-a…xperience-inventory_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.24490_none_e89e6982fed90c4e

As before, you may wish to authenticate the dll file before installing it (although it was downloaded from the MS website, so I felt this step was not necessary).

Copy ‘[FONT=Courier New]api-ms-win-downlevel-kernel32-l2-1-0.dll’ into your PATH, e.g. C:\Windows\System32

I think that installing the entire KB4507456 would most likely enable “telemetry”,
but by installing the dll only should not. I’m unable to prove this, so standard disclaimer applies.

Cheers!

Expand! I forgot that was even a thing! I got the DLL, thank you so much! I popped it into the 4.26 -> Engine -> Binaries -> Win64 directory, right along side the UE4Editor.exe itself. This stopped the errors when loading the editor, as well as the shader errors when compiling. THIS is the solution people have been looking for!

What a mess.

2 Likes

here is the x64 dll

sha1 b07a3f4403a93e87c787c22cc1196768cf837aa2
md5 2a74acc946966a40131476105fde86df

ya and everyone notice you now have a launcher as a bloody service ? WHY? is that to end run telemetry like nvida did/does with its drivers
this is NOT COOL on developer side ,this is why we need seperate the developing form gaming they are turing epic games into EA
lol games as a service doesnt work for developing as a service…
whats next a microtransaction for each update or your done…like i said elsewhere till this hardware ■■■■ sorts im not bothering for updatinglauncher as a service
i see that as more spread for security concerns

So i’m getting these error popups constantly in the Epic Launcher now, yet everything still seems to work fine regardless ?
How needed is the code then that “requires” this DLL ? Can’t it just be removed or replaced with something that does not rely on the DLL ?

spyware is never NEEDED

as too screenshot just open your task manager and have a look i also noticed steamwants to do the same thing and its cause new update of windows spyware ten wont let you turn off things like its firewalland antivirus now
to get roun d that all launchers now need to become services and now you will have less and less control
this is going to soon one day shove more and more of us to other operating systems where we devs and hobbyists have control
they know this and dont care cause like most of there time they are nto long term thinkers they are short term hard core capitalists whom will take take all they can and run off later with the fire burning
AND HOW THE HELL TO MINIMIZE THIS IDIOT POPUP CHAT SYSTEM I DONT WANT DIDNT ASK FOR OR NEED…YES MORE AND MORE EV ERY SECOND WE DEVS AND HOBBYISTS NEED OUR OWN LAUNCHER CAUSE THIS C…RAP IS FOR KIDDY FORTNITE PLAYERS

Issue still persists with the latest client update.

I have been using UE on Win7 for a few months now and have never been able to launch UE from the Launcher. Error of api-ms-win.bla… Despite the error, I have been able to install and run UE4.24 and UE4.26 without errors. My work around is to find the executable (.exe) file in the Binaries Folder and make a shortcut to it. Works fine and I really don’t care about the Launcher. Maybe this is more important for games but I don’t care much about those either until I learn how to build and sell one. Eventually I will need a more current, powerful machine running the latest systems but for now, I am in the early stages of learning and I am suitably challenged using my current old machine.

This was working yesterday (3-31-2021) but the launcher update today totally screwed things up. At first I noticed it put the update on the wrong hard drive in my system. It kept repeatedly trying to re-update. I eventually downloaded a launcher update directly which fixed things until I completely exited the game and launcher. Now I can’t get the launcher up again as it has the error of the file in this thread title as missing. I’m on Win 7 x64 (and will never run Win 10 - computer tech for decades). This file is nowhere on my computer. WTF is Epic doing anyway with all these things that continually make problems. Months ago AFTER exiting the launcher I started getting video card not compatible or not good enough - something like that. It’s an Nvidia Geoforce 8GB GTX 1070 - can’t believe that is not sufficient. Then every time I close the launcher after I was done playing it says the launcher crashed! No it didn’t crash I EXITED it. Then it says the Epic crash reporter crashed. LOL - happens everytime I exit the launcher. It’'s getting to STUPID too play THIS game - I just want to play Fortnite.

Any progress on this issue?.. If not has anyone have any idea on how to roll back to 4.25, for the launcher?.. Epic games - Epic fail here…

Well? You’ve been looking into this for nearly 3 months now. You never came back to comment further. What progress have you made? How is this not fixed yet? There are reports of this error across dozens of forums. This should’ve been fixed as soon as the first reports came out that your update was broken on Win 7. How much longer must we wait for your launcher to correctly?