Poor Edit or performance on my PC

Hi there,

I’m a complete newcomer to the Unreal Engine. Prior to this, I used Unity, but I have been so impressed by all of the videos that I have seen, that I thought it was time to make a change. I have just subscribed and downloaded 4.0.2 of the Engine. After installing I have been very alarmed to find that it is so unresponsive that it is unusable. I know that there must be a problem, because on all of the tutorial videos that I have seen, it looks fantastic.

I have a dual boot PC, both with installations of 64-bit Windows 8.1. One is my old dev environment, and the other is a completely new installation of 64-bit Windows 8.1. I have tried installing on both environments.

The spec of my PC is 3.2GHz Core i7 with 6 cores (12 hyperthreaded), 24Gb DDR3 RAM, NVidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512

The symptoms that I see, is that whenever I create a new project with initial assets (table + 2 chairs), the clouds move jerkily across the sky updating approx once per second, panning around with the mouse has a lag of up to 3-4 seconds, and is extremely jerky. Basically, it is completely unusable.

When I look at the performance in Task Manager, the PC is hardly breaking sweat. CPU is at approx 3%. Memory, network and disk are similarly untroubled. But I notice that all other applications (such as typing in this question into this forum) also perform terrible whilst Unreal is running

Does anyone have any ideas about what might be the problem?

All help and advice would be gratefully received

Thanks in advance

Your graphics card is not supported and doesn’t have the newest shader models.

This is in the wrong forum section.

Yeah your card is very outdated. I would recommend something at least in the 600 series from nvidia minimum, with 2gb ram. I just updated my gtx 460 1gb to a gtx 670 2gb factory superclocked and the difference is night and day. Went from 25 fps with maxed settings to 60 fps.

Thanks for your advice - I’ll look into upgrading the card right away.