Pick up objects as item child blueprints instead of static mesh actors using level BP

I’ve been trying to do this for hours, and I’ve searched the forums and tutorials, but I can’t quite get this to work…

First, what I CAN get to work is to have objects that are StaticMeshActors on the level, and edit the level blueprint so my pawn can pick them up (attaching them to a socket on the pawn using Attach Actor to Component) and drop them by clicking the mouse on them. But that doesn’t seem very object-oriented, so I’ve been trying to do it a different way.

What I’ve been trying to do is make an item_blueprint (root type StaticMeshActor?) and have the objects be children of this blueprint, and have the item_blueprint receive mouse clicks to have my pawn pick up the child object. But I can’t get it to work no matter what – I can’t get Attach Actor to Component to do what I want, it doesn’t seem to do anything.

I would think this would be pretty straightforward and probably already done by some of you; any pointers or demos?

Hello,
Not sure this is what you are looking for but if you did a parent / child blueprint, did you create an empty mesh in parent (like the empty character set in parent of mixamo’s characters ?

Edit : To add an empty mesh : add a mesh and remove selected one in details/static mesh / click the selector : clear.

Not sure if I did – looks like it’s working better, thanks.