Paper Skeleton Editor suggestions/advice

So, for a project I need quality 2D Animation, and want to do it all inside the Editor if possible, so I want to start work on a tool called Paper 2D Skeleton Animation Editor.
An Asset Editor for working with Skeletal Animation Data Asset’s. Now if you’re curious as to what i’m talking about, just look up Spine, Spriter, etc…
Previously I worked on a Plugin to import and use Spriter Data, Spriter for UE4, so I have a decent understanding of this type of system.

Looking for insight as to what a preferred 2D Animation editor would look/feel like to you. If you have any questions or suggestions feel free to comment.

Questions:
1. What features would you like to see implemented into the Paper Skeleton Editor?
2. What would you like to see the data asset structure be like?
3. Are there any concerns you would have about a system like this?

Any other advice or comments is appreciated, thank you!

This is interesting, I think someone might’ve covered this already? Kestrel Moon - YouTube : If I’m not mistaken. One thing I think ideally for paper2d that’s sorely needed is plugging in a notifies to the flipbook editor. that would be super ideal for everyone working with paper2d.

I’ve seen Creature, but I want an In-Engine Editor that would also possibly be able to be committed back to the source so that all may enjoy for free. Notify’s would be an feature of this system just FYI.

Im still thinking of the best structure for the Skeletal Animation Data Asset, as well as how to keep it generic enough to be used for any 2D Animation (Replace Flipbooks? :rolleyes:)

Still looking for any input on this, a couple more questions.

1. Would you want, the system to be mainly focused around bones? (Bones being required) or No? (Bones not being required)

2. Would you want, to be able to Parent Object’s to just Bones? or any Objects?

3. Would you want, a setup mode to create all Objects and a Animate mode to create Animations for those Objects? or just have one mode and create the Objects as the Animation is created/played?

4. Would you want, Sockets, things that can be parented to Bones, have an Position, Rotation, and Scale, but do nothing on their own until assigned with an Non-Bone Object?

5. What all Objects would you want to be available?

KEY:
System = Paper 2D Skeleton Animation Editor
Bones = Object’s with a Position, Rotation, and Length. Usually used to form a skeleton for animation purposes.
Sprites = Object’s that display an Static Image. Usually parented to a Bone with its Image updating over the course of the animation.
Setup Mode = A mode for Creating all Objects that would be used in the animation timeline, as well as setting default values.
Sockets = Object’s that represent a spot for another Object to fit into the Skeleton.
Other Objects = Sound’s, Trigger Box’s, Point’s,

1. Would you want, the system to be mainly focused around bones? (Bones being required) or No? (Bones not being required)
    Ideally, if you’re replacing flipbooks all together it should be able to support bones and traditional frame by frame animations.

2. Would you want, to be able to Parent Object’s to just Bones? or any Objects?
    This I think will come down to testing/needs just like number 3. If we’re animating with bones inside the engine I think users will find it simple if they could attach sprite per bones.

3. Would you want, a setup mode to create all Objects and a Animate mode to create Animations for those Objects? or just have one mode and create the Objects as the Animation is created/played?
    Having them separated will make for an ideal workflow but will also feel like an extra step to the user. (hence the testing.) I think it’s safe to have them be separate modes for now and based on feedback you move forward.

4. Would you want, Sockets, things that can be parented to Bones, have an Position, Rotation, and Scale, but do nothing on their own until assigned with an Non-Bone Object?
    Ideally we’d be able to retain the sockets we can place on flipbooks. this helps with making those customization characters and or dress funny objects together. I think what you’re pitching here would be ideal, but as far as the do nothing until assigned, that’ll come down to testing.

5. What all Objects would you want to be available?
    Well if it’s just for animating. I think 1-4 has it covered. you want to be able to create a bone, attach a sprite to that bone, then of course record the verticies of animation that can play back (now thanks to alembic?) I know notifies is a huge deal and if this system supports frame by frame animation, I’d be your first customer.

Hey buddy how goes it?

Any progress with your work? :smiley: