Ordered point clouds / laser scan import

Hello,
We are satisfied users of RC. We’ve used only images and gcp so far. We would like to test the workflow with laser scans.
Since I’m not very familiar with some technical aspects, I’d like to clarify or confirm a few points before I’d ask my provider for a quotation.

*I understand it is not necessary to input GCPs when processing images with laser scans, the software will do the collimation automatically on the million points, am I correct?

*Concerning the ptx or E57 files:

• we need a separate file for each scan station, is it correct?
  • the “ordered” format is just an option to click in faro scene when exporting the data, or is it a decision to make on the field prior to the survey?
  • Is it possible to georeference the laser scans in Faro Scene before exporting to an “ordered” E57 file? Otherwise, how would we georeference the laser data within RC?

*I’ve read that intensity values would be enough for processing in RC, but the faro x330 we would use does not correct the intensity values with the distance, is that an issue? Is it better to use RGB values as well or does it make no difference?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!
Yann

Hi YannJ

• we need a separate file for each scan station, is it correct?

Its better to have them separated per scan station ( FARO easy done on export, LEICA Cyclone - much more labor intensive )
But its not mandatory.

• the “ordered” format is just an option to click in faro scene when exporting the data, or is it a decision to make on the field prior to the survey?

in Faro scene its easy to export as ORDERED ( PTX is only as a ORDERED format ) in LEICA Cyclone too. Just say you need ordered PCDs. they SHOULD know the difference… eventually reexport is work for few minutes.

• Is it possible to georeference the laser scans in Faro Scene before exporting to an “ordered” E57 file? Otherwise, how would we georeference the laser data within RC?

Yes it is possible ( some of scaner contain build-in GPS sensors ) if not it can be quite easy done in RC with GCPs

*I’ve read that intensity values would be enough for processing in RC, but the faro x330 we would use does not correct the intensity values with the distance, is that an issue? Is it better to use RGB values as well or does it make no difference?

No noed to correct any intensity values. just scan with COLOR ( onboard camera ) and then colorize the PCDs ( even the onboard cam have poor img quality )

Wow, many thanks for the very fast reply.

Can you also confirm if the images aerotriangulation is automatically done on the laser scan with no manual collimation on gcp needed?

Cheers
Yann