Oculus and some FPS issues, hardware-based or not?

Hi!
Im currently running the UE4 using a Nvidia Quadro-6000K and Im currently experiencing some “lag”…
My question is… could this be since the Quadro 6000k isnt the “every-persons” normal GPU, since its more fitted for professional modeling and CAD and such.
Do you guys think that a SLIed/CFed high-end gaming GPU would do better in UE4?
As mentioned in the title Im trying to run my game with my Oculus Rift as well… so any suggestions of how to improve the performance would be highly appreciated!

Br,

Quadros are not designed to run games well, so that could be an issue, you can compare though how it runs in the editor to see if it may just be an issue with the rendering for the Rift or if you are just getting bad performance with the engine in general. While Quadros aren’t good for games, you have the best one available so I would kind of think it would equal out.
I’ve tested on a GTX 770 and a GTX 660 with good performance running the editor. But I haven’t tried using the Rift yet. Technically it should work fine if it runs the editor well.

Yes, it would probably best to try a gaming orient GPU instead of the Quadro.
I’ve run the Rift on a 760GTX in UE4 just fine.

Aha ok, thanks for the replies!
I will try to use it on a gaming orient GPU instead.
Do you guys think Radeon 6970x2 would do? Guess I could just simply try it the next time I have the Oculus around… but just thought that maybe I could
see if you guys think I will need to upgrade or not…

Hi guys,
Just got a hold of UE4 and went straight into trialing with the Rift, using the Reflections demo, VR demo, and even just the default 2 chairs level. I’m also having some serious frame rate issues and was keen to get to the bottom of it.

I’ve got a somewhat low-end card, a GTX 650, with a pretty high end PC and while I run at 65 fps in editor for the VR demo, once running full screen Rift mode, its maybe 20fps or so, very choppy/laggy. All settings are down to minimum in Quick Settings.

I figure I must still be missing something, as this is a simple, single room with one statue in it. Same for the 2 chairs, there’s nothing special going on but they both run very slowly. This concerns me, since if lower end users can’t run a Rift game at minimum settings at 60+ fps, there’s little hope they’ll be able to when CV1 goes > HD resolution. Any tips or things to look out for that I might have missed in terms of optimization?

For comparison, all demos I’ve used with this rig have run fine (some slower on max settings). I currently use Unity and I’m getting over 65 fps in some fairly complex scenes, and I assumed that UE4 would be quicker, if not just the same speed. I really love the graphics engine, editor, blueprint, price etc, but if I can’t figure out why my frame rate is so terrible I’ll have to stick with Unity (which isn’t terrible, but I thought Unreal would suit much better what I’m doing).

Hi!
Havent tried out my rig yet with the Oculus, but would really like to know what the guys over at UE4-HQ have had for results with the Oculus, and what hardware you were using?
Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Don’t have any numbers but I get at least decent performance using the Rift in simple test levels as well as the realistic rendering demo on a GTX 680.

I’ll do some “benchmarking” when I get home and post my results.

EDIT: Checked my frame rates on shooter game highrise level and the realistic demo now.

Ran these on an intel i7 930 @2.8Ghz, 6GB RAM and GTX680 by launching standalone game from the editor.

Highrise runs at 30-40 FPS (no bots)
Realistic Demo runs at a smooth 60 FPS

Seems that vsync might still have been on even after disabling it with the command hmd vsync off as the realistic demo was stuck at 59/60 fps. (can’t tell easily as it’s syncing to the wrong monitor for me so the rift gets tears even with it on)