Download

Ocean and beach misbehaving

Spent the whole day making a Gerstner waves shader. There are several issues with my water however and im hoping someone have any idea as to why it behaves the way it does.

The first picture I kind of like, when viewing the water facing the suns direction. However the second one looks terrible, I think if I blend the normals so there is less detail out on the open sea it will look better… BUT
Because of how this translucent material doesnt seem to shade itself the gerstner waves are kind of pointless, since you cannot tell what is up or down on the ocean anyway.
Where the water has no opacity I feel like the light should cause deeper shadows, but it doesnt.

The more I think about it the more I realise that alot of it I think is a normal problem, since the closer to land you get the more tiny wild ripples there are. While out on the big ocean the waves are bigger.
I tried disable the normal maps completely to see if the reflections canceled out the shadows, but it didnt.
The material is a translucent material with:

TLM Surface
Unchecked seperate translucency
Checked responsive AA
No Tessellation

Update: The extreme ocean reflections I fixed today with blending between normals maps, and I think ive found out what causes the white flickering when looking out over the water. It is the bright sky that randomly clips through the water surface. Anyone have any idea on how to stop that from happening?
Its hard to get it on a picture since it only happens randomly when I move the camera

Solved this issue by making proper normal maps and multiply those with a 3vector that I can use to finetune the normals.
Still had the shadowcasting issue wich I also solved in several different ways.

Either use the same z-mask for the waves (if displaced waves) and or one channel from the normal mapped waves, add them together and perhaps divide by 2 or just clamp.
Then you can multiply the diffuse with that mask or use it in the AO for the material.