Download

NVIDIA GameWorks Integration

Yes, there is a lot of room for improvement for HairWorks, especially in the rendering. I’ll take note of DOF.

I just compiled the new VXGI build. When I opened SciFi Hallway, I was greeted by those errors:

he’s saying that vxgi doesn’t work when you turn on distance field soft shadows.

Did you download it as a zip, or using Git client?

Thanks Mike, I’m thinking I will work on that, or a tool for creating hair within UE4, so take the functionality of the max or maya hair plugins and integrate directly into UE4.

Zip file. I stopped using git since it is complicated like I said. Is the git version better and doesn’t have those problems and missing files?

I can still see the shadow in your second picture, it’s just very low contrast because VXGI contribution is really bright.

Are you using HDR emittance in VXGI (bVxgiStoreEmittanceInHdrFormat in BaseEngine.ini)? I’m asking because we found a bug in the UE integration and it’s fixed in the latest release. That bug was causing indirect illumination to be much darker than it should be, if RGBA8 textures were used to store emittance. So, if you don’t have HDR emittance enabled, your diffuse tracing intensity setting is probably much higher than it should be, in order to compensate for that bug. Try reducing that intensity in the new version and see if shadows look better after that.

Actually no, what I just said is incorrect, it’s the other way around: non-HDR lighting should’ve become darker. Still, your pictures with the new VXGI look way too bright, multibounce shouldn’t affect the result like that.

I realize that the shadow is created by a distance field, so you want to replace the light with an emissive surface and get shadows from VXGI? It’s technically possible to get a more or less correct shadow, we could trace cones toward a specific area light, but that would be expensive and that is not implemented in UE4. Getting VXGI shadows from a regular light is not possible.

Hi, i have the same issue, when i unzip the unblocked file i get this issue : " ! F:\UE4 releases\PHYSX\unblock\UnrealEngine-VXGI.zip: Erreur de somme de contrôle dans F:\UE4 releases\PHYSX\unblock\UnrealEngine-VXGI\UnrealEngine-VXGI\Samples\UserContent\SciFiHallway\Content\Textures\Door_02_M2.uasset. Le fichier est corrompu "
Door_02M2.uasset. seems to be corrupted …

OK, now I really understand what’s happening :slight_smile: UE is just not my area, sorry - I work on VXGI core primarily.

Distance field shadows currently cannot be used during voxelization. So when you have a DF-shadowed and VXGI enabled light, it will be voxelized as if it had no shadows. It should be technically possible to use DF ray tracing during voxelization, but I’m afraid it will be very slow. Maybe a solution to that would be to make UE render a regular shadow map for those lights as well, and use the shadow map for voxelization instead of the DF.

I have had problems with the zip files, I will test it today to see if the same problem occurs for me.

I just found a quick&dirty solution to make lights with DF shadows properly voxelized - we just need to render regular shadow maps for them. We’ll try to get a proper solution in the next update, but here’s what you can do right now.

1. In Engine/Source/Runtime/Renderer/Private/ShadowRendering.cpp, replace line 3267:

if (ProjectedShadowInfo->bAllocated && !ProjectedShadowInfo->bTranslucentShadow && !ProjectedShadowInfo->bRayTracedDistanceFieldShadow)

with the following:

if (ProjectedShadowInfo->bAllocated && !ProjectedShadowInfo->bTranslucentShadow)

1. In Engine/Source/Runtime/Renderer/Private/ShadowSetup.cpp, comment out or remove all 4 lines that mention “bRayTracedDistanceFieldShadow” (655, 1664, 2106, 2144).

2. Build and run UE4.

Yes. With these changes, you’ll get soft distance field shadows and correct VXGI voxelization, therefore correct indirect lighting. Shadows in the voxel representation of the scene will be sharp, but you shouldn’t notice that normally.

VXGI cannot replace shadows from regular lights, and most likely it never will. It can, however, render pretty nice shadows from area lights (emissive objects) if you use more diffuse cones, 16 for example.

If I redownload the github version and just copy/paste the SciFi Hallway content to my compiled location, willt hat work?

Probably. In theory you should get the same code whether you clone it or download the zip file.

I tried to download using github client but I always get fatal error and failed to clone error. I could clone the HairWorks branch via github client since it is not that big while I couldn’t for VXGI because it is over 2GB. I contacted github support a long time ago and he said that Github may fail to clone big files. Now zip files has missing files like I noted. It seems Github isn’t really the best choice for such NVidia big works. I never had problems with SVN. :frowning:

I have had no issues cloning the files from github, I have both the VXGI and HairWorks branches cloned right now. I can also say I am also experiencing warnings when opening the Sci-Fi demo level with a cloned version.

Really? and How did you clone both branches using github client (I don’t know how to sue gitsheel)? Did you clone HairWorks to a location then removed the UnrealEngine repository from client then cloned VXGI to anotehr loaction (which clones UnrealEngine repository with same name but has VXGI files)? Is that the procedure you followed? I read that Github client can’t clone different branches from same repository since every branch has the name of the Repository cloned each time (here UnrealEngine) and I can’t add other bbarnch content to same cloned repository sicne they both have same names. Github client isn’t that good for cloning. I really hope they solve their cloning size limit and branches cloning one day.

Im not using the Windows Git client, I am using TortoiseGit, so I just cloned the repo, then renamed the folder, and cloned again so I have UnrealEngine-HairWorks and UnrealEngine-VXGI