Non-VR project fails to launch when SteamVR plugin is disabled

TLDR below
I am new to Unreal Engine and I am trying to build my 1st project with Unreal. I have 4+ years experience as a Python engineer.

I have made the bare skeleton of my project. When I open the project or launch it from the editor, it also launches SteamVR. Since my project is not VR, this is not wanted. Searching online, the recommendation is to disable the SteamVR plugin. I did this and SteamVR no longer launches when I open my project. I can use the editors “play” feature and everything works the same as before. When I try to launch my project, it errors with:

LogPlayLevel: Setting up ProjectParams for C:\Users\Jordan\Documents\Unreal Projects\PuckStar\PuckStar.uproject
LogPlayLevel: PuckStar.uproject requires a temporary target.cs to be generated (OculusVR plugin is disabled)
LogPlayLevel: ** STAGE COMMAND STARTED **
LogPlayLevel: Error: ERROR: Stage Failed. Missing receipt 'C:\Users\Jordan\Documents\Unreal Projects\PuckStar\Binaries\Win64\PuckStar.target'. Check that this target has been built.
LogPlayLevel:        (see C:\Users\Jordan\AppData\Roaming\Unreal Engine\AutomationTool\Logs\E+Epic+Games+Games+UE_4.26\Log.txt for full exception trace)
LogPlayLevel: AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=103 (Error_MissingExecutable)
LogPlayLevel: Completed Launch On Stage: Build Task, Time: 1.255516
LogPlayLevel: Completed Launch On Stage: Deploy Task, Time: 0.000028
LogPlayLevel: BUILD FAILED
PackagingResults: Error: Launch failed! Missing UE4Game binary.
You may have to build the UE4 project with your IDE. Alternatively, build using UnrealBuildTool with the commandline:
UE4Game <Platform> <Configuration>

Searching online did not help. If I re-enable the SteamVR plugin, it can be launched again.

When I package it (with SteamVR plugin enabled), it works fine on my local (besides launching SteamVR) and can be run from the .exe that is made. When I send it to my friend to try (who does not have SteamVR), it errors when he runs the .exe with:

CreateProcess() returned 2

Not sure if it is related, but I thought I would mention it.

TLDR:
Project can both be launched from the editor and packaged when SteamVR plugin is enabled but launches SteamVR.
Project fails to launch from the editor and cannot be packaged when SteamVR plugin is disabled but doesn’t launch SteamVR.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I am using UE 4.26.2

I found a very long winded work around. Since I stared with the starter content and a demo map and when from there. There was some weird references to different content that I didn’t want. I decided to export only what I wanted and made myself into a new project and fixed any errors. Somehow, it worked.