Download

newbie advice needed charachter creation screen

Hi all and thanks in advance for any advice given.

I’ve just gotten to grips with blender the keyboard shortcuts and what some of the tools etc. do and made a couple of practice 3d models, nothing special just been learning how the vertices move and what some of the tools actually do.

What I want to do for my first proper project is make a character creation screen for a game where people choose different heads bodies faces etc, I will be sticking to fairly low poly models as I just like the style of them with textures as faces rather than actually modelling all the features ill be going for quite a cartoony style.

What advice would you give on how I model the different parts to fit together? say ive got 5 different heads and ive got say, a scar texture, ill have to re-add that to each different face or is their a better way to do it?

I’m just doing the modelling right now, I don’t really know how to do any of the programing scripting side yet as I say I’m an absolute newbie, is there anything with the scripting programming I should keep in mind at this stage?

The game and content I’m slowly making will obviously be for unreal engine, the character creation screen, would I make that in unreal and then just bring the models over from blender?

I’ve not actually done any rigging yet, is there anything I should keep in mind when rigging these characters for the swapping of heads/bodies etc?

once I’ve learned the scripting to a decent degree, id also like to add the option to the creator screen to randomise the character, is there anything I should keep in mind while modelling for this aspect of it?

I’m sure there are a lot of things ive not even thought to ask yet, so any other advice would be awesome, thanks everyone!