Download

New to Unreal - 2D artist workflow questions

Hi, I’m a UI artist with Flash (Scaleform) and Unity experience. I’ve just started ramping up on Unreal 4 and have come across a few seemingly simple things that I’m not sure about. I have a mainly 2D background and I’m definitely not a programmer. :slight_smile:

Questions:

1. Is there a way to arrow nudge items without having to select them using the Viewport? It would be helpful to be able to select them in the Hierarchy panel and then immediately be able to nudge them with the arrow keys from there. Instead, the behavior is that using the arrow keys moves around my focus in the hierarchy panel, but that’s not what I want.

2. Is there a way to lock widgets in the Hierarchy so that they are visible, but not selectable in the Viewport?

3. What’s the best way to move something that is outside the bounds of the screen canvas? I can’t seem to click directly on it. I have to resize it, press undo, and then, having gained focus from my resize, I can nudge it. That can’t be the intended functionality. :slight_smile:

4. Is there an artist’s way to bypass what seems to be preset amount of tinting on the scrollbar thumb in its normal state? I don’t want opacity or tinting applied to my scrollbar art. I would like the art to be what I created.

5. In the animation timeline, is there a better way to select multiple keyframes at once without having to Ctrl-click each one? I can resize the bounds of an animation parameter, but I’m not sure what that does—it doesn’t appear to move the keyframes. In fact, that hides my keyframes, which seems confusing and potentially dangerous.

6. Is there a way to gain control over the text: tracking (letter spacing), case (being able to set all caps or all lowercase)? Flash has some built in functionality for this, and Unity has the nice TextMesh Pro Plugin, but I haven’t found equivalent functionality in Unreal.

7. Is there a simple way to have the text of a button change during state changes? I saw a way around that that used borders, but was wondering if there was a simpler solution I was just overlooking.

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!