Download

New to UE4, I'd really appreciate to help to get me started!

So, I’m wondering about some things. I will list them down:

First off, I’m planning on making a RPG. It’s my first game in UE4, and these are some of the things I want in the game so far:

1. Inventory/Equipment system. Equip armor, swords, shield, etc.

2. Leveling. You get the idea.

3. Low poly graphics.

And basically, all the other RPG elements.

So, here are my questions.

1. Should I use blueprints or C++?

2. Where would I make models and animate them? Blender? In the engine?

3. How would I get started? Like, basic information.

I don’t really know what to write, but I don’t really know how to get started. The thing I am most worried about, is if I should use blueprints or c++.
Help is really appreciated, and thanks in advance.

1. Blueprints unless you’re a veteran c++ programmer

2. Create in Blender then export a triangulated selected object as fbx then import that fbx to UE. Make sure your uv islands don’t overlap and are within to 0 to 1 space.

3. Go to the Learn link at top and get started. Everything you need us there somewhere. You just need to dig.

best of luck

Hello XanderDreas

1 - You totally can use both of C++ and / or BP for almost anything. The C++ is reputed to be a bit more versatile and fast than BP when you come to complex code but I not sure it’s totally true and some great games are made in BP with no use at all of C++. C++ is needed only in case you want to do with UE4 something that you can’t do with UE4 (there’s very few things matching this criteria ^^).

2 - In blender, totally. UE4 is not a modelling nor animation software.

3 - Start small and simple. Get as many little success you can, it’s much more effective than a big project that going nowhere and finish in the tears :slight_smile: