I am trying to create a 2d map of a city. When I mouse over a building I want information to highlight. Then I want a timeline at the bottom that I can slide to change the development of the city over time.
Can anyone point me in a direction to get started with this scope of a project?
We’ll need a bit more info.
- how are the changes manifesting - are they animated or the goal is to simply replace one building with another as the time goes by
- how about roads - is this also included
- how detailed are we talking - districts, individual houses, bus stops, vegetation
- is this a static screen size or one can zoom and pan around
- UMG does not support custom shaped collision, so an L-shaped building with something else nested in the corner is somewhat of an issue (it can be solved with Z ordering, though but it leads to another point, below)
- are you going to support layers, where the user can hide all building / bridges / vegetation
When you say 2d, is this top-down, isometric or an 2d overlay on top of 3d?
So, I would implement it using the following tools: