Download

New to animation but have a strange task, help!

Most tutorials I find seem to be for making playable characters. I’m creating a NPC who only has half a body (I have head, neck, shoulder, spine and arm bones contained with a FBX). I’m wondering if I should be setting this up as a character BP or an actor? This character will just have a handful of visual animated responses (no physical interaction between them and you).

Anyway, I’m sure the playable character tutorials will be useful too, what are the best ones out there for learning how to cycle different animations depending on certain events in the game?

The best way to learn animation stuff is the 3rd person bp tutorial. :slight_smile: -> after that you are abel to do nearly everything

The Character is a Pawn is an Actor. Which essentially means, that character is a pawn with some extra features for root motion and such. Pawn is an actor that is allowed to be possessed. If you have no plans on controlling this character with AI, or by a player, to let it traverse your game, then actor is more than enough. You can still make playable actors with the actor class itself. If you ever need to “upgrade” your class, you can do so by re-parenting your blueprint.

If it’s only an actor that’s going to play some animations, then by all means, go with actor.

Great help, thanks! Point out if I’m wrong but fighter, I presume you refer to this set of tutorials? (The official Unreal4 ones)Will check them out.

Just finished chapter 3. I think I get it,

You export your rigged character with NO animation as a skeleton mesh. Then with the same 3D file (in my case, 3dsmax) you add your animation (say, walk) and reexport it as walk.fbx. Then delete animation and create new animation, resave as run.fbx and so on. These animated FBXs you import as animations.

Unreal isn’t reading multiple meshes, it only reads the mesh from the static import. For the animations it disregards the mesh because why would you add 10K polygons for each animation? Right?

can anyone confirm if this sounds correct?

Yep, that’s the best one -> after that I was abel to create an entire combat and movement system for an medieval RPG system :slight_smile:

I personally import everything together -> skeletal mesh + animation

You are right in that the mesh and animation are separate assets. Like fighter5347 mentions, you can import them at the same time. I personally separate mesh and animation into separate process, not to mix assets together. As long as you have a pipeline you are comfortable with, stick with it.

Managed to get in a character with bones, using the animation viewer I can preview 3 animations that I created.

Today I’ve gone through the entire tutorial series for 3rd person blueprints (all 22 videos) YET, I still can’t figure for the life of me how I would set up my scenario. The series was more about controller input, should I be able to adapt the info from the videos into my scenario?

I simply want to place the character in my scene and have it looping “anim_static” animation, then have it play animation 1,2 or 3 depending on an event.

Do I need to just go over the videos again or are there others that are more tailored to my needs? Are there no tutorials that show for example, an object animating depending on how a player interacts with it?

Normally after watching the part with the montage + after you have studied the 3rd person template everything should be clear :slight_smile:

But here are the basics how you would set up something that you want to reach:

Reference 3rd person template:

1. create a character bp with the input, controllers,…
  2. add the character and the anim bp which you should create before in the component tab
  3. now in the anim bp you have to set up the basics speed and jump variables and in the anim graph the basic states -> take a look at the anim bp from the 3rd person template

Special Events:
4. create a bool variable in your character bp and connect it with an event
5. now in the anim bp you will have to cast to the character bp - then get the bool variable from the char bp - when you use a montage you can now connect the bool with a branch and the branch with the play montage - otherwise create another bool variable in the anim bp and connect the bool from the character bp with it.
6. go into the anim graph and create a new state - in the transition from the idle to your own state you will have to add the bool variable and from your state to the idle you will have to add the bool + a not node

After that it plays the animation when the bool gets activated :slight_smile:

1. character bp
  2. anim bp
  3. anim graph

blue: character bp bool
orange: casted bool from the character bp
red: new created bool in the anim bp
green: anim bp bool + not
violet: anim bp bool
bown: own state + animation

d2243f1267775289bdb867ec79d89c95f60fc85d.jpeg

Keep meaning to thankyou for putting in the time to help explain this fighter, I just keep getting stuck at the diamond graph part. I have trouble relating it to my scenario. First things first, do I need a blend state if all I’m doing is getting my skeleton mesh to wave if I get close to it? Blend state, in the context of the tutorial makes sense (walking to running) but just a one off animation? or should I be adding all 3 of my animations into one blend state?

blend 0.25 = anim 1
blend 0.50 = anim 2
blend 0.75 = anim 3

Currently I have stored my 3 anims in a blend state with a range of 375 like the the tutorial. I’m not too bothered about blending so can I save memory by giving it a range of say just 4? 1 for static and then 1 for the other three anims?

I’m finding myself go more in this direction,

static anim

• if sick human receives item A than play anim_01 : Then loop static_1 (just a duplicate of the original static)
  • if sick human receives item B than play anim_02 : Then loop static_1 (just a duplicate of the original static)

edit : Ah, yes that didn’t compile. So have taken out the 2nd static. I’ll have another stab at this later and try to get it closer to the diagrams that you suggested.

If only one question could be answered it would be this;

Currently I have stored my 3 anims in a blend state with a range of 375 like the the tutorial. I’m not too bothered about blending so can I save memory by giving it a range of say just 4? 1 for static and then 1 for the other three anims?

Argh,

I have created bools in my sickhuman_bp. Trying to cast them through my character BP. What I’m doing is exactly what I do when casting to character which works every time but it’s not working when casting the other way around. Any ideas?