New, naked and afraid

Sorry, I know- I’m pretty sure I did a noob mistake. I’m very new to UE4 and I went crazy on the marketplace. I downloaded a bunch of free assests that I wanted to play with so I could learn. I placed a little fox in my world and it couldn’t save. I restarted UE4 and said okay I’ll do something else. I adjusted the viewport camera for the ThirdPersonBP and complied and saved…but no. I kept getting assest could not be saved. It complied though. Idk if this means anything. I double checked to make sure the file wasn’t read only. And a number of other checks online to see how to fix it. I lost a days work from this issue. I guess my question is, in the future, if this happens again is there a way to pinpoint where the issue is so that I can solve it?

My computer isn’t very powerful which drives me crazy trying to navigate to figure this out in UE4. I’m in the market for a new computer but I know this is something I did. Not UE. Can we not trust fully the marketplace items?

Have you checked your hard drive space i ran into the issue of grabbing all the free content and my hard drive was filled with cashe from the vault totally unnecessary cand be deleted just means downloading it again when needed also…alot of other cashe files can be deleted if necessary… if you accidentally opened your project twice from beings impatient or click happy it won’t save i like to right click and press open to stop this as it can take some time to respond… as for the marketplace i have noticed warnings like UVs overlapping could be easily fixed tho… think the biggest issue is no instructions how to use the items in the marketplace…(read me file made from a blueprint and comment box would be so helpful)

You might have figured it out by now, but this message usually means you have more than one copy of the editor open.

I did check and verify that I dont have the project opened twice. Forgot to mention that. AND just to make sure, I checked again this morning. Very very carefully opened it once and got the same result. I havn’t checked the hard drive space so I’ll look into how to do that after work. What are UVs though? You think thats a possible issue to my problems?

Just doubt checked this morning. I did see that suggestion a lot online but that doesn’t seem to be my issue.

Yes its the Animal Variety Pack. Now just to clarify, I have no proof that pack was the issue. Its just the first thing I added to the project I wanted to play around with. I was trying to see what people do when they make new characters because I dont intend to make my games with the mannequin lol. I thought maybe the plug-ins I added were the issue but I’ve deactivated them and the issue remains.

Since last night, I’ve made a new project and am slowly adding back the add-ons I find most important for me to learn off of. All the blueprints are back in place and so far no issues. Still playing with the old project too though so I can find my mistake and make sure I dont do it again.

UVs are the flattened out model so it can use a flat image (textures) to give the object colour bit like unfolding a cereal box. I think i know the fox your talking about will download it and see if i have any trouble after dragging it into the map take it its the pack that has dear and a pig yer

some materials etc can use multiple blueprints i have a water and the waves on that material are a combination of different functions linked together all of the code can be correct in each blueprint but if the link between becomes broken, like deleting one of the functions or a texture in a linked function or even adding garbage that confuses the engine the code can compile but will throw out errors at the bottom until you fix the missing file etc… look out for the red circles and yellow exclimation marks at the bottom of blueprints. also what version of UE4 are you using i had to roll back to 4.23 as my computer would constantly crash on the newer versions (4.24 / 4.25) . you said you need a new pc ? has any of your projects saved ?