New laptop hardware

Hello all,

The laptop that I was using to code and test the games I’ve been working on has died, may it RIP. As such I’m looking into buying a new one primarily for developmemt, not much hardcore gaming per se. I’m interested to know what hardware I should prioritise when purchasing this laptop.

My current belief is that I should get a high quality and clocked CPU, high clocked RAM, decent storage space (a terabyte is probably the most I’ll use) with a lightning fast SSD to minimise load times (NVEA compatible, preferably).
I’m unsure whether a beefy graphics card is ‘required’, as I’ll primarily be testing in low-res maps. I’m guessing a 4K display is handy to future-proof in case I work on a larger, quality project but would that also require a ridiculous graphics card?

If anyone has ideas for something I’ve missed, feel free to say so.

Hi!

I agree to everything that you’ve said when it comes on getting a gaming laptop. I’m a gamer too and I really love playing games especially if the game gives good feedback. Currently, I have Acer Aspire V17 Laptop and specs are below:

Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5 GHz Processor (6 MB Cache)
16 GB DDR3 RAM
1 TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive, 256 GB Solid-State Drive
17.3-Inch (1920 x 1080) Screen, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M

You might want to check this and see if this fits on what you want and need.

You’ll want the best video card you can afford when developing on a laptop. If price is the concern get a desktop as they are much less expensive for greater performance.

Are you sensitive to weight? The Razer Blade is the lightest-weight, still-ok-graphics, laptop you can get (similar to a MacBook Pro, but with much better graphics!)
And you don’t want to separate “storage” from “SSD” – you can get a 1 TB SSD for a few hundred, and no need to use a spinny disk at all.
Main limitation is only 16 GB of RAM, but it’s OK for the work I do (running VMWare virtual machines for work, and some lightweight level building in Unreal Engine) as well as running games.

If you’re OK with a heavier laptop, you can save money by going with an Asus or MSI or somesuch.
This would be a fine MSI laptop workstation.
Stay away from the MacBooks – they have super crummy graphics.

Finally, it’s impossible to make a better recommendation until you tell us:

• what’s your budget
  • what screen size do you want
  • what’s your sensitivity to weight