Native 3D audio and VR performance improvements coming in 4.8!

Great to hear about the upcoming redesign of the audio system!
Talking about the Oculus plugin, are there any plans to natively support also OS X, iOS and Android in the future releases?

4.8 is there, and it looks like there are no VR performance improvements made at all. Still no late-latching, Epic says there not even a timeframe for implementing this: [4.8] VR preview sometimes doesn't work, bad GPU-utilisation - XR Development - Epic Developer Community Forums

Very disappointed right know :frowning:

This is sad news :frowning:

I sadly haven’t had much time to test VR since 4.8 dropped (been dealing with some other regressions); but it certainly looks from that AnswerHub thread like performance/stability problems in VR need addressing.

On a happier note, I have seen some non-VR performance wins in 4.8, and I’m especially pleased with the presence of the Oculus Audio spatialization SDK integration (which I also have yet to have time to test, but looks promising). 4.8 is still a huge step forward in my book, and I don’t doubt that we’ll see a more concerted focus on getting VR ready for primetime as Vive and Rift consumer versions approach. Much of this effort needs to come from Oculus themselves, of course, and admittedly SDK 0.6.0 finally fixed some longstanding technical issues I’ve been having with all DK2 support regardless of engine, so I’m confident we’re moving in the right direction.

But any chance those of us toiling in the dark in the meantime might get some insight into any current roadblocks, and what we have to look forward to? For instance, I really appreciate the candid insight into the challenges developers face like in this Last Guardian story, even if it doesn’t make the wait any easier :wink: We’re all human and encounter unforeseen speedbumps, but I think what some of us devs fear is that VR work is being unfairly sidelined, and want to make sure our voices are being heard.

I would love to see some updated info from Epic (Nick Whiting or any of the other devs directly working on this) on the current state of VR, particularly wrt Oculus. Thanks!

Well said…

Android support in general ha been fairly improved, and also GearVR benefit from this. In particular, deploying incremental changes on the devices is a huge time saver, and building the apps for android in general feels much faster. On the downside, with 4.8 there is still no MSAA for snapdragon, no 3D audio (the oculus SDK is available only on Win), no fix for the standard gamepad.
Talking about the DK2, I only get a black display at the moment for a known issue :-/ Also, still no leap motion support on mac