Modular SciFi Series - Engineer Hallways Vol. 2 Released!

Thanks. Due to the unique shapes of the other exterior meshes it won’t really. But they will come with their own specific exteriors that can be attached to the existing colony layout. =)

Just have one wall left to finish for the interior portion, then I’ll begin to texture the exterior elements. The robot remains untextured, but I wanted to showcase how good it would look in a storage environment. =)

Looking good as always !

Thanks Shawn! =)

Ended up squeezing a bit more work today. Really pleased with how it’s coming along, it’ll look even better with the properly textured robot. Still a few polish pieces for the interior but this is the overall design. Going to tackle the exterior tomorrow and then wrap up the remaining props. =)

Arch_13.jpg

Here’s what I have of the exterior so far. A couple detail pieces are left, decals and I’ll probably do another final pass on the materials.

Polished the architecture materials and details a bit. Also just finished blocking out the crate which will store the weapons (shield, baton, grenade). Check it out. =)

Arch_21.jpg

Nice! I’m really liking this storage/armory building. It will be a good addition to Polaris. I really enjoy the create, too. It looks like the lid is meant to slide off, am I right; or will the lid open up?

Now, is there any way to enter it from inside the colony? :smiley: That would seal the deal for this asset (see what I did there? seal…colony…air…I thought it was funny).

Thanks! The crate top is meant to be magnetically locked, via the 4 inserts pointing upward on the ends.

I see what you did there. =P If what you’re asking is if this building can attach to the colony, the answer is yes. Though it may be through a bit different means than the way the current example environment does. I’ll likely show more examples of how it will work as we get closer to release. =)

Ah I see. So it would be opened up kinda like a cooler. Just unhook the magnetic locks and slide the lid off. At least that’s how I envision it. If I am wrong, please correct me. And I ask because you said the weapons would be inside the crate (not create), right?

And interesting. The colony is navigable via the catwalks, yet this asset would be hooked up to the colony via different ways? Soooooo…perhaps an interior door that can be used inside the transition meshes? :smiley: Oh boy! If that’s the case then I’m really excited because that means I can give access to other rooms without my citizens leaving a pressurized chamber! Boy, I hope I’m right. Am I right? Should I be excited? Because now I am excited, and I hope I’m right haha.

Also, is the floor flushed with the door? I like how there are steps for the catwalks and square pieces, but not every room should need steps, right? So if the floor is flushed with the door, I think that would be nice because it gives the colony floor fluidity…maybe that’s what you would call it? I don’t know. I just don’t like the idea of having steps for every single room I make within the colony, so it is nice if the floor is flushed with the door.

I’m really looking forward to seeing your next couple assets for polaris and will love the opportunity to add this to the colony. I’ve taken a break from environmental design and have focused on programming (more-so programming the studio’s website than the game) in order to allow you the time to finish your asset ideas for polaris. Patience, when I am excited, is not my strong suit, so I have to stay busy somehow hahahaha.

Yeah something to that effect. I was going to have a small display device along the side that could be used to unlock/lock the magnets in place and indicate whether it’s open or not via a light. Might still do that actually. =)

Well currently with the example map given you transition most of the colony units with the larger transition mesh, or the larger hallway units. You can also transition between units using a direct catwalk, but I think I only did that about once or so in the example environment and with the larger catwalk variation. But the way I envisioned this one was to be a direct catwalk transition, or off along the edges. The size of this unit length/width is equal to the larger units in the Polaris pack, so you can circle the catwalks around it just like those.

I do actually like the idea of enclosed, door sized transition pieces though! In fact I’m certainly going to do that. Won’t make it in this product, but the next thematic Polaris pack I’ll for sure add those. I can even do fully enclosed and windowed variants. =)

The floor has a bit of a dip in this environment as well. The reason I did that was to align the surface along the grid usually, since 10cm or 5cm from the bottom of the doorway asset to the next floor is always going to leave a bit of a gap. Though I’ll see about what I can do in regards to variants without that going forward. Usually I try to adhere as much to the grid as possible. In fact the interior assets of this pack can be used without the exterior, as they all align to the grid. But your feedback is definitely noted, and as mentioned I will look for ways to accommodate both. Thinking on it now I might even be able to just create an additional floor asset that can be placed in the rooms. If so I can probably slot that in an update to the pack. =)

Thanks! I have a lot of cool stuff planned for this collection. It’s shaping up to be one of my favorite so far to work on. This most recent one for example, it’s a mixture of architecture, props and weapons. That’s sort of the approach I want to take with the thematic packs, tackle a certain theme, and deliver content for it regardless of the category. I even plan to add animations to this which is something I haven’t done in any of the other packs before. If you have any more feedback or ideas on what you’d like to see next feel free to send it my way! I have the next few packs sort of planned out, but if I can make it fit I’ll do it.

I’m trying to get these out as quick as I can haha, so hopefully you won’t have to wait too long. The Polaris Collection as I see it right now will include multiple phases, the first being ground based and a multitude of assets you’d need for those sort of environments. And there’s still quite a ways to go before I’m done with the content I want to make for that. =P

Well the idea is to be able to traverse throughout the colony without ever going outside - thus I can’t rely on catwalks much. That’s why an interior door within the transitions would be awesome; or some kind of interior stairway and/or elevator system. I won’t lie, I really like the cat walks and they do provide a way to navigate though the colony in areas that make since - such as the colony entrance, some sort of cargo/supply area that would need outside connection. However, a good sized colony with many people would have everything pressurized, and the colonists would be very upset if the only way to enter a second or third floor would be to leave a pressurized cabin and take the catwalks outside. Does that kinda make sense?

But I will be looking forward to those doors, and seeing what you come up with

I actually like the separate floor mesh better because it allows for modularity (just made up a word). Some rooms could be flushed while others would need steps, and that decision would be based upon the user.

And I will be patience as need be buddy. Great work doesn’t come in a day.

Also…this place needs a dome. Like a big, glass dome. And goal posts. Big yellow goal posts. And it needs to be 100 yards with a giant logo in the center, like at the 50 yard line. Hmmm…maybe not all of that but the giant dome for sure. Would definitely break up the monotony of square buildings within the colony.

Could have sworn I replied to this a few days ago, strange. o.0

Yeah I understand what you mean. When I made the colony pack it was with the idea of it being an earth like planet where you could walk outside. For the most part the entirety of the colony can be traversed without going outside, unless you’re heading to another floor which is where the future stairwell and/or elevator will come in. A door shaped transitional environment is also something I’ll add as mentioned above. =)

Yeah exactly, I think the separate piece would work better for the reason you stated. I’ll have to see when I can do that, but it’s definitely on my list of things to get to before the end of the year!

Haha I was actually thinking about doing some sort of dome shield, either for protection or to simulate a walled off oxygen environment where people could walk outside freely if the colony happens to be on a harsher planet. Keep an eye out. =P

As far as building shapes, I plan to add a variety for sure. There’s plenty more architecture and structures on the way. =)

Here’s the textured crate. Will be working on the interior version next and then it’s a matter of putting the finishing touches/polish on this pack. =)

Crate_7.jpg

Here’s the polished crate and a showcase of the different variations. There’s fully enclosed, 2 open variants (different depths), supplies and the lid. Really happy with how this asset came out. Check out more screens here! =)

Modular SciFi: Polaris Defense has been submitted! More details and screens to follow soon. =)

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing it in the marketplace. Also, how can I make the materials not as…shiny and reflective?

Thanks! Hopefully it will be before the end of the month. =)

Increasing the roughness of the material will make it less reflective/shiny. Also be sure to remove any reflection captures that may be in the scene, and/or screen space reflections in post processing.

Majestic Fantasy & Engineer Interiors now on sale through the 30th!

Modular SciFi: Polaris Defense is AVAILABLE NOW on the Marketplace! Check it out HERE!

View more screenshots on ArtStation HERE!