I’m trying to retarget the standard UE4 Mannequin animations to a custom character downloaded from Mixamo (the Remy character in this case, but I’ve been having the same issue with other characters).
In order to do this I have followed several tutorials on YT on how to do this, but when I finally hit “Retarget” to retarget the animations the new character Remy is transformed to some freak of nature, it could honestly give you nightmares.
I have tried multiple times to redo the process with small changes or things I thought might fix the problem but nothing has worked so far. I am getting the feeling that it has something to do with the orientation of the Mixamo character, but I don’t know how to fix this. This is my current “workflow”:
- Import the .fbx downloaded from Mixamo into Unreal Engine 4 in a clean ThirdPerson template (new skeleton, using T0As reference pose).
- Opening up the skeleton of the new character and choosing the Humanoid Rig, then mapping all bones to their respective nodes (leaving Root set to ‘None’ since there isn’t a Root bone in the Mixamo char).
- Opening the standard UE4 mannequin, adjusting the retargeting pose to the standard T-pose
- In both characters for the “Translation Retargeting” setting Hips & Root to “Animation Scaled” and the rest to “Skeleton”
- Selecting the ThirdPerson_AnimBP, rightclicking and selecting “Retarget Anim Blueprints -> Duplicate Anim Blueprints and Retarget”
- Selecting the custom Remy Skeleton as the target and finally hitting “Retarget”
The result is almost the same every time, a heavily misshapen character with a huge body and spider-like legs combined with a very tiny head on a tiny neck at the top, finished off with a set of tiny arms sticking out of the neck.
Sometimes it is slighly different but never has it been close to a normal human.
I’m hoping that someone here might have some tips as to how to solve this problem. Would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,