Download

Mesh complexity

As well as coding, I’ve been dabbling in 3D modeling with Blender. Character modeling for games has been a toughie for me, but I’ve been learning here and there. However, I have been using tris in some areas to close loops since games aren’t as powerful as movies. Everyone I’ve talked to says my work looks fine, but a fellow game modeler says I shouldn’t use tris at all. My predicament is that it’s not a person I’m modeling, but a cartoon/anime character, where the anatomy of the face realistically makes no sense. With tris I’ve been able to model such a face while keeping the movable areas supposedly unhindered.

I’d like your thoughts on this:

CC97PTuUkAAjx6Z.png

using tris if fine, I use tris and quads in my models all the time, also the engine triangulates on import anyway so even if you use all quads they will still be turned into tris.

hope that helps:)

I believe you may find that building with mostly Quads will give better edge loop flow and deform more naturally.

You can use either, but quads are strongly suggested for joints and areas where deformation occurs.

Whoever told you that you can’t use tris doesn’t know what they are talking about, I would disregard the bogus advice.

What is their reason for that? Did they read it on some forum somewhere and are now just saying it to you without even understanding why they are saying it?

So what you want to do, if you can, keep your original source asset (looks like in Blender from what I can tell?) quads for the following reasons:

• it’s easier to select edge loops on the mesh (useful for UV unwrapping in Headus, and other pelt mappers, etc.)
  • it’s easier to manipulate components in general if you have to go back and make geo changes to the mesh in the future

Other than that, there is no reason to “avoid” triangles. In fact, you should be triangulating your mesh before dumping it into the engine anyways.

Absolutely, quads is good for work flow, but if you find yourself with a triangle somewhere it does not matter… espeacially since models get triangulated in the end.