Making water with fabcy waves and ripples

Hello.
I want to make swimmable water that ripple when being shot and wave when the player walks in them, like in The Talos Principle.
How can this be achieved?
Thanks.

i’d like to know aswell tho just for the walk/swim. but apparently putting a transparent ripple gif on a water mesh is rocket science to this community where a game like mario 64 that came out almost 30 years ago had been able to do it without our current hardware.

You can check out the Water Plugin that comes with the engine. Unfortunately, it is still experimental and has some issues, but if you need only ripple waves, you can easy fix it, I can help you with it if needed. You can also take a look at marketplace solutions like Fluidninja Live, Fluid Flux or Waterline PRO. It will be easier than dealing with partially broken advanced stuff of water plugin

I would just like to know how to displace/spawn a ripple material (particle effect) on a simple plane water mesh wherever a character/actor walks or swims in etc. Nothing that involves any expensive or overcompensating water simulation physics. Thanks