Post no longer valid

Post no longer valid.

Sounds like someone just discovered video games

Take a good look at Unity and Unreal.
Start a small project with the scope to have functioning game features. Buying a shiny menu from the market is easy, the work starts when you try to modify it, and connect it with your game logic, to debug it and to optimize it.

I am so happy that Epic allows anyone to post here, allows bringing down the quality of the Forum for everyone, and forcing us to use other platforms for job-seekers as well as job offers.

Lets take this fine example here:

“The prefix of this post should be equity and not royalty”
Wonderfull, so we not only get a share of nothing, but are also liable for the losses of youre “enterprise”.

“I don’t care if you were shooting heroin on the streets last year”, “You have super high ambitions…and unrealistic dreams to achieve in life…”
You not only sound like one of these, but also assume you can “rise above” titles like Battlefield and Call of Duty with such people you try to gather. Please try to get those people from the streets and not from here.

“My actual job will be that of a captain.”
No one with a clear mind will follow a leader who…
-has no experience in the field,
-does not even provide the basic info from the recruitment template, but insted bullshits his ad with a drug-infused euphoria rage
-sounds so clueless that his “project” will be dead within days and no one likes to participate in this experience

• does his first post here (at least under this account) and expects anyone to take him seriously with this disqualifying posting.

I am really happy that those well-paid Epic moderators do nothing in such cases and let the Forums die here for any serious participants. Well done!

Agreed, however where do you draw the line? Should we delete all posts that do not follow template, or maybe all posts that do not explain task. What about some big company posting multiple topics about jobs for same project/game (theoretically against rules). Maybe epic should made separate job seeking for all unformatted, poorly made topics.

I know this part of forum is mess, but really deleting all that does not follow rules from sticky would be better?

Here are 2 solutions to this:

I) As there are just about max. 2 to 3 new postings each day in the job section of the forum, the moderators should be able to look thru them and treat them accordingly:

1. qualified postings: untouched
  2. “not sure / where to draw the line?” give the original poster a warning that the minimum quality requirements are not met. let them know what these are and that they have to provide those within a timeframe of e.g. 2 days, otherwise the post will be deleted. the timeframe also seperates the “dead” and serious posters.
  3. unqualified postings: let them know that this forum requires a minimum quality which was not met, so the posting has been deleted. offer them to make a new qualified posting if they are serious. send others (like SigmaGames with his mental issues) to more appropiate sites like reddit.

This process would be “manually” as you can’t make sure quality is kept, as even with a mandatory list or template, people may put nonsense in there.
But as the workload is so little (actually one person could moderate the whole forums that way), and this is the worlds leading game engine, this effort should be worth it. Also you team of moderators can split up the workload among yourselfes…

II) separate the Sub-Forum “Job Forums” in 2 Forums: “Paid job offers” and “Other job offers (revenue/equity-share, unpaid, hobby…)”.
The above suggestion from SigmaGames "a new category “looking for team members” does not work, as both look for members or employes, this is the mess we have right now already.

You may let do posters in the “paid” section post more freely, also allow different positions separate.

But please set minimum standards for the “other” section, as most of them are purely frustrating waste of time if they can’t provide:
a) clear goal, like a detailed Game Design Document" and break these down in EVERYTHING that is required to archieve this goal. e.g. character x mesh, y animations, z programming mandays…
b) a realistic plan how to work off or buy everything from the GDD, this way realising the total workload and if they have the ressources and budget for it.
c) an convincing description of their qualifiction, e.g. work in other teams, experience in the field of work, shipped titles, experience as game-dev team-leader and so on… pure motivationb does not qualify.

For both solutions: give forum members the opportunity to standardised report unqualified postings, or postings in the wrong section.

A similar approach could be applied to the “Looking for work” subforum, as right now there have to be tags/prefixes to separate the “paid” from “other” job seekers. So this subforum could be split in 2 to make this clear for everybody looking or posting there.

I hope these solutions will be regarded by Epic, otherwise this forum will go down to even more nonsense level and shy away any serious people.

People have been posting nonsense project recruitment threads forever here, it’s not like it’s a new thing and so far people can ignore the ones that clearly won’t work out.

So you’re admitting that this is a problem, but you are not even motivated to do one of the simple, easy suggested solutions? Reasons being as these problems have been “forever here” and they are not a “new thing”?
You are a “Moderator” here and should be motivated to improve “youre” forum, or at least solve such existing problems if there are easy solutions available to you.

And regarding “people can ignore the ones that clearly won’t work out”:

a) serious or professional people will not only wonder why this unqualified postings are allowed on the public official forums of a professional game engine, but they will simply shy away from it. Or do you think serious people waste their time reading thru tons of unqualified postings by hoping to find the few serious ones? No, they simply will go to serious websited instead.

b) unexperienced people may not be able to know what will “work out” and what not, and may fall for such motivation-but-no-skills postings like from SigmaGames above leaving them with a frustrating experience only. This could be avoided if you would demand certain minimum quality standards.

Suddenly posts from old forums for the Torque engine and Unity 2 rise into my mind… memories…

The best thing about these kind of posts is that the readers are more than likely to make a game by themselves. I’ve been part of these royalties projects with nothing more than grand ideas with 12 to 40 people on discord posting memes all day and weeks later a project that 1 person could have achieved. Another “boys club” to play vid games all day and achieve nothing.

So perhaps a good chance to prove that - you know, in order or garner interest in someone who knows UE4 at least.

Does this really promote interest in your project? Maybe you miswrote.

I think I can help you out there. Those games have hundreds of very experience developers who’ve built the brand over years from hard work and Innovation, I wouldn’t brush them off as bad games that don’t deserve success.

Sounds like a fool errand considering you believe COD and BF don’t deserve to dominate the market - and yet they do - and the players decide that.

This is backwards game design. Recruiting on the basis of… loot boxes suck, the tops games are crap, we can make the Greatest Shooter game, lets get some big investors, and lets brainstorm after recruitment. I would love to see any successful game using this model. Maybe you’re trolling, it’s hard to tell…

please just dont feed this troll anymore. the right approach to him is just to ignore him. dont post anymore. otherwise he gets the attention he is looking for, but does not deserve.

Thats just another lie, as finding a capable a matching team is not a 3 day process, but lenghty esp. for “non-paid” as people hop on and off. he might have learnt that by just browsing thru such postings here, but he does not care for real world basics and only does his whishfull dreaming. Lets please close this thread now and good luck with youre “team”.

You must not understand what mods can actually do here. We can’t change how the forum works, we don’t have any control like that.