Linking a DataBase to a dedicated server.

Hi everyone…

Currently I am working on a online multiplayer game where characters information needs to be stored in a data base.

The player login the game and the dedicated server takes the player information(user id and password) and creates player character based on information by the player. This is not a MMORPG and the max player limit per map would be much smaller.

Any leads on how to get started with something like this? I don’t have much experience with database.

I’m looking to do the same thing also. I managed to get this working with Unity but the way I went about this is have a webserver have a DB which stores login details (username + password) and maybe another DB which holds character details if you need that also however I can’t really say whether it is a secure way of doing it. I think your biggest challenge is being able to connect to that webserver. I’m currently looking at using AWS (amazon web services) for hosting the DBs due to the fact it’s cheap. if you manage to get it working with ue4 please update us! :slight_smile:

Edit: After doing a little research, this may help with finding a way to connect to web server from the game to access DB : Best way to perform a http request? - Documentation Feedback - Unreal Engine Forums

Thank you… Sorry for the late reply.

I am unable to open the epicgame forums link…