Lightning of default map seems off

Hey guys,

I am just starting with UE4 and encountered a strange behaviour. If I create a new “Blank Blueprint Project” with the default settings, the lighting of the initially loaded default map seems off.
I only recognized this because i am currently watching tutorials about UE4 and there the colors and lights seem to be much more saturated and overall “nicer”.

This is a screenshot of what I can see:

This is a screenshot of the tutorial:

I am using the version 4.10.2 of the engine, the tutorial most likely uses an older version.
I just downloaded and installed UE4 so I am pretty sure that I have not changed any global settings of the engine that affect the lighting.

If any of you could provide some insight on how to fix this, I would be deeply thankful. It’s just less fun to play around if everything looks foggy.

Thank you

It looks like the scalability might be set to a lower setting which could mean no reflections or shadows, are you running on a low-end machine?

Thanks for the quick response. It depends on what a low-end machine is… I read through the hardware & software specifications and from my perspective they seem to match my machine.

I am currently running UE4 on a ASUS laptop:

Operating System: Windows 8.1 64 Bit
Processor: Intel i7 QuadCore 2,40 GHz
Memory: 16GB RAM
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M

Now I realise the video card is the weak point of the system, but i did expect it to be able to render a simple scene without any problems. The only thing which may be the problem is that i have two video cards available, the NVIDIA which should be sufficient and an inbuild card Intel HD Graphics 4000 from the processor. Is there a way to check which one is being used by the engine?

It should be using the Nvidia card, though that’s still low-end and might have caused the engine to go to a lower scalability setting