"Life's too short to help" -The answer I get at this 'community' after begging for months for help

No wonder there hasn’t been a good game in 30 years (‘The Journeyman Project’ in 1993 was the last thing I really enjoyed!), Today I see the same 3 **** games made OVER and OVER and OVER, different colors, different name but SAME OLD GAME…

I thought I could take my 25 years of Hollywood Character Animation and FX skill and bring it to the world of gaming, BUT IT’S NOT WANTED! Status Quo and boring games seems fine with all of you. It’s so weird! Not at all like CGI industry, We all really help each other. So, if anyone cares about the integrity and future of their own industry, HELP HOLLYWOOD ARTISTS WHEN THEY TRY TO HELP YOU BY JUMPING SHIP!

***PROBLEM: ***

Using a NON Zero entry in the Set Physics Linear Velocity of my Head collider, I FINALLY got a nice little bounce. The only problem, I’m not bouncing in the right ‘direction’!

Seems like I just need to ask Unreal: ‘**what direction was I going before colliding, please just continue in that direction after bouncing’ **(I have tried AddForce and AddImpulse in place of Set Physics Linear Velocity, but it never does anything good, I just fly into a sickening rotating frenzy a million miles an hour, OR get flung out of the scene…

In the 14 weeks I have asked here and Discord etc. I have always suspected, everyone was making too big a deal of physics and it was the simplest answer imaginable, of telling Unreal, BOUNCE IN SAME FORWARD DIRECTION, and I’m now nearly there with 80% of what I wanted, a simple bounce instead of a JARRING STOP! Just it’s going in a SET direction, so only 1 times out of 4, I get the perfect bounce in the correct feeling direction,. Now I just need to tell Unreal, 'Don’t bounce backwards OR sideways, just in same forward ‘direction’ as I came in with, and with a bit less force… :slight_smile: Surely visual ‘scripting’ can accomplish this simplest of things? I could do this kind of thing in 3ds Max, (even 3D Studio for DOS from 23 years ago) in probably 10 different ways not even using physics!

Here is the same BP with one tiny change that finally gave me little bounce instead of instantly stopping in pace, like it was before,. :slight_smile: So now I bounce, if I could simply control the direction I bounce (in the same ‘forward’ direction as incoming pre-collision angle ) I’d be all set!

Here is BP with my existing settings.
PLEASE HELP!!

(p.s. please do not just say: “You need to use physics.” 14 weeks of people saying that, but not one knew how, or could show me. Every time I try to use physics for the collisions, I lose my Zero-G flying!)

I just tried it:
You could try adding a FVector “lastVelocity” in your actors properties. Every tick you’ll then get the actors current velocity and save it in that “lastVelocity” FVector.
Then make a OnComponentHit-Event for your capsule component.
When that OnComponentHit-Event occurs, look in the “lastVelocity” FVector to see what direction you were going before the collision happened.
To make your character keep bouncing, just invert the Z-axis of the lastVelocity and use “Launch character”. Dont forget to check “override XY” and “override Z” when launching the character.

I don’t know if it matters, but my characters tick group is set to “Pre-Physics”, it might be important if for some reason your lastVelocity-Vector does not truly get the pre-collision velocity but the post-collision velocity. But Pre-Physics should be good since then you’ll get to save the velocity BEFORE the collision occured.

If you not only want your character to bounce off the ground but also the wall or slopes in the correct angle, you’ll probably need to play around with the hit normal/hit impact normal vector (you get that by splitting the Hit-struct in the OnComponentHIt-Event) and launch your character accordingly.

EDIT: Of course, the way i have done it in the screenshot means that it’ll fire off the character launch for ALL hits, you might want to cast the other actor and check if its the ground or whatever, or change collision filtering, so the launching of the character only occurs if it hits the surfaces you want to bounce on.

Also, this is not with physics, but feel free to try it out even with physics enabled. This is just the most efficient and easiest way i could think of the top of my head how to implement constant bouncing.

EDIT 2 : When using physics, instead of plutting that lastVelocity-Vector in a Launch Character-Node, you could use the Set Linear Velocity-Node.
Never tried it, but feel free to do so.

People keep trying to help you but if you dont understand what they are saying then its not our fault.

No one is going to write the code for you or rewrite that horrific blueprint you’ve got off the internet somewhere. Its the equivalent of me sending you a hand drawn picture of a stick man that i copied off google images and asking if you could turn it into a high quality model.

I gave you a solution in one of the multiple threads you’ve opened up on this same subject by adding just 2 nodes to your existing code.

Glad i spent 2 hours of my life looking at that horrific code for you. Wont be making that mistake again you ungrateful…

@**savagebeasty **Imagine you’re doing vector math, punch in 30, 30, 30 and things bounce in SET direction. Imagine your frustration when you need to shelf your nth project because of that.

After reading some of the comments, it seems to me that OP is more interested in a magical, ready to go solution rather than trying to understand the issue, dismissing valid suggestions.

I only watched Life of Pi last week - a fantastic piece of cinematography! Well done, NextWorldVR.

exactly, where is anyone supposed to go with that. No one is going to explain vector maths in a forum post.

I tried man i really tried :slight_smile:

the problem is downloading some code you dont understand how it works, then asking someone to get the code to do something it wasnt intended to do isnt a 5 second fix. What he actually wants to do is easy but it would be quicker to rewrite it from scratch than redo that **** blueprint code.

I wouldn’t be so bothered but he’s changed his question now based on what I told him the other day, I also gave him another solution that involved adding 2 nodes which he hasn’t even attempted…and now he quotes me in his thread subject as to why the entire gaming community are nobs.

Been better off learning this stuff properly than wasting hours of your life trying to hack something into code that you don’t know how it works in the first place.

Anyway as per my previous comment, life’s to short I’m out.

Right … lets get the topic back on track or this thread will be closed. Please remember the forum rules and make sure you stay professional at all times. Game development can get frustrating and it does sometime feel like no one wants to help … but maybe ask your question in the right way and not through frustration.

I always write my response, pause for 5 minutes, go back and read my response and if it is still professional and not smeared with emotion and frustration, I post it.

(To quote ‘The Dr.’ from Star Trek Voyager: “I’ll complain I want to, it’s comforting!”

The problem is I keep getting vague suggestions, when I have clearly PRE-explained 17 TIMES, I am a character animator NOT a Coder. I am an animator, with ONE SMALL PROBLEM that is KILLING MY GAME. I don’t have the YEAR IT WOULD TAKE TO UNDERSTAND WHAT I NEED TO DO TO FIX ONE LITTLE BOUNCING PROBLEM.

SO: If you didn’t/don’t want to help ON MY CLEARLY PRE-STATED. 100% NECESSARY REQUESTED TERMS, **THEN LEAVE ME ALONE, DON’T GIVE VAGUE SUGGESTIONS THEN COMPLAIN ABOUT ME BEHIND MY BACK TO OTHERS WHEN I REMIND YOU I ASKED FOR ACTUAL HELP NOT SUGGESTIONS THAT WILL GO WAY OVER MY HEAD.

I WAS VERY CLEAR ABOUT NOT HAVING TIME TO LEARN A NEW CAREER. NOW, AFTER NOT ASKING ANYTHING FROM ANYONE, FOR A 25 YEAR CAREER IN CGI, I NEED HELP WITH EXACTLY ONE LITTLE THING: CONTROLLING THE DIRECTION OF A BOUNCE,

IF IT IS REALLY THAT INDESCRIBABLY, IMPOSSIBLY, HARD TO CONTROL THE DIRECTION OF A BOUNCE IN UNREAL; (AS THE LAST 7 MONTHS OF ASKING HERE HAS SHOWN ME IS 100% THE CASE,…) THEN I DON’T REALLY WANT TO BE IN UNREAL ANYWAYS RIGHT? IT ALLOWS FOR ZERO CUSTOMIZATION AND ZERO CONTROL OF ANY KIND (APPARENTLY,…)

IT TOOK LESS THAN 30 SECONDS TO DO THE SAME THING IN UNITY! I can do anything want there,. Unfortunately, I of course don’t want to have to output my app in UNITY, I would rather just shelve it, give the rigged characters away,. I pretty much no longer care after 7 months of fighting this place anyways, I’ve never been more discouraged and DISGUSTED in my 49 years of life! …**

From my POV, I AM OFFERING YOUR Sad, Lacking and quite predictable INDUSTRY, MY 25 YEARS OF PROFESSIONAL HOLLYWOOD CHARACTER ANIMATION EXPERIENCE,. I SAID IN THE BEGINNING AND THEN 16 MORE TIMES I AM NOT LOOKING TO BECOME A BLUEPRINT EXPERT, AND THAT IF YOU CAN FIND IT IN YOUR HEART: TO SIMPLY SHOW ME HOW TO SIMPLY MAKE AN ACTOR BOUNCE IN THE ‘CORRECT’ DIRECTION. Then great, the world has a cool new ZERO-G VR App that puts LAME ECHO to shame.

Or not, whatever, *“I don’t really care.Do you?” *

I GOT THE BOUNCE BY MYSELF WITH NO HELP SINCE I STARTED ALL THIS, One guy showed how I could SLIDE along the wall, but that was not at all what I wanted, so I kept hunting and now the guy is mad I didn’t take his ‘solution’ or that I dared mention when he said “life is too short to help you”? (and set me into a week of bed ridden depression I HATE people) So terribly sorry I was honest, Next time you are rude for no reason, I’ll cover for you!! ,.
:expressionless:

I SEE QUESTIONS HERE UNANSWERED FOR 7 YEARS. WHAT A PLACE,… AM I REALLY OUT OF LINE FOR BEING HONEST AND CALLING OUT what it FEELS LIKE HERE, TO A PASSIONATE ARTIST THAT WANTS To WORK, OUTPUT, CREATE MASSIVE WORLDS for others to enjoy, BUT IS STOPPED BY A TINY STUPID LITTLE **** TECH *** PROBLEM???

I CAME BACK AND KEEP TRYING FOR 7 MONTHS! (ONE WOULD THINK I WOULD GET SOME CREDIT JUST FOR PERSEVERANCE! LOL// NOT…

If there is one confident, decent person here willing to help, THEN PLEASE BY ALL MEANS , HELP. BUT DO NOT RESPOND FOR ANY OTHER REASON, i have stated as many ways as I can i just need the thing fixed, if you can help great. HELP OR DON’T BUT TAKE NO MORE OF MY SOUL WITH THIS, this thing you do.

YOUR industry is lacking in variety and creativity, I am a Hollywood animator of 25 years. DO THE **** MATH!

The last 20 years have seen the same **** 3 games made OVER and OVER and OVER.

NOW I KNOW WHY!

Don’t you think it’s a bit ironic to post a message like this and call everyone else immature?

Besides, you’ve got a working solution in your other thread from people who do not care about you or your project but decided to sacrifice their time to tailor that bouncy thing just for you. Not wanting to learn something new and challenging is the worst possible excuse you can come up with, sadly.

Good luck with the project.

You know after somewhat around 2 years of me trying to make some nice (not great but just passable) spaceships i gave up and bought models. Granted i bought and then learned some 3d apps in process. My models were at best little above so called “programmer asset quality”. But now when i have model and i need to improve it (like uv mapping or fixing triangulation etc.) i can do that stuff quite fast.

Same goes for you it is very hard to explain all that coding stuff to somebody who refuses to learn vector math, logic and finally coding. And that is just beginning, soon you will want something that requires interface, umg, inheritance or dispatcher. You have two options: collaborate with some coder (you halp him/her with assets or art) and coder helps you with your code. Or just make post that you are looking for coder and team up on your project. Second option is going trough tutorials, and learning how all that coding stuff works.

Ps.
When i tried to directly modify physics velocity weird things happened. For physics object if you modify its velocity, physics engine may think that object just got infinit acceleration (that means it was pushed with infinite force in some direction). Physics is very picky, so better handle that stuff properly.

And fix that ■■■■ caps.

HOW DARE YOU SAY THERE IS A SOLUTION! LIAR! How dare you call me immature after i have been put through the ringer here , Can you not READ!?!?!? I don’t care I gave up on Unreal, it is a NIGHTMARE just like its NON COMMUNITY of JERKS!

TO H E L L WITH MY CAPS DAMMIT,.

I KNOW THERE ARE NO ARTISTS HERE AND YOU ARE NOT USED TO PERSONALITY. THAT IS WHY WE SEE THE SAME **** 3 GAMES MADE OVER AND OVER UNTIL WE HAVE 30,000 OF THE SAME GAME IN STEAM, WITH DIFFERENT NAMES, BECAUSE YOU ALL LIKE TO GET TOGETHER AND BULLY AND BERATE ANYONE WHO IS EVEN SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT.

I DON’T REALLY CARE, YOU SHOW WHO YOU REALLY ARE WHEN YOU ARE COMPLAINING INSTEAD OF HELPING!

***WHY SAY ANYTHING IF IT ISN’T TO HELP? TO JUMP ON A BANDWAGON AND FEEL A LITTLE BETTER ABOUT YOUR OWN WEANING 2-YEAR OLD’S EGO???

GLAD I COULD HELP YOU WITH THAT YOU ■■■■ BULLY!!!***

i offered $30,000 in hollywood assets, 3d models, motion captures, endless assets, for a few minutes of help. No one bit.

I offered to pay. No one bit.

I’ll do caps if i want when i am being berated and bullied by a group of self righteous jerks jumping on a bandwagon, instead of realizing how frustrating 8 month searchs for a tiny fact are!!

Wow.
Just wow.

[quote=“NextWorldVR, post:11, topic:114849”]

HOW DARE YOU SAY THERE IS A SOLUTION! LIAR! How dare you call me immature after i have been put through the ringer here , Can you not READ!?!?!? I don’t care I gave up on Unreal, it is a NIGHTMARE just like its NON COMMUNITY of JERKS!

TO H E L L WITH MY CAPS DAMMIT,.

I KNOW THERE ARE NO ARTISTS HERE AND YOU ARE NOT USED TO PERSONALITY. THAT IS WHY WE SEE THE SAME **** 3 GAMES MADE OVER AND OVER UNTIL WE HAVE 30,000 OF THE SAME GAME IN STEAM, WITH DIFFERENT NAMES, BECAUSE YOU ALL LIKE TO GET TOGETHER AND BULLY AND BERATE ANYONE WHO IS EVEN SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT.

I DON’T REALLY CARE, YOU SHOW WHO YOU REALLY ARE WHEN YOU ARE COMPLAINING INSTEAD OF HELPING!

***WHY SAY ANYTHING IF IT ISN’T TO HELP? TO JUMP ON A BANDWAGON AND FEEL A LITTLE BETTER ABOUT YOUR OWN WEANING 2-YEAR OLD’S EGO???

GLAD I COULD HELP YOU WITH THAT YOU **** BULLY!!!***/QUOTE}

Lay off the caps and take a deep breath dude… Nobody is bullying you.

Lay off the caps and take a deep breath dude.
[/QUOTE]

I WILL DO CAPS WHENEVER I AM BEING BULLIED BY JERKS WHO BAND-WAGON TOGETHER TO BERATE ANYONE WHO IS EVEN SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT OR CREATIVE IN ANY WAY. THAT MAKES ME THE ENEMY. I ACTUALLY WANT TO MAKE STUFF. NOT SIT AROUND HERE TRYING TO ASSUAGE A SAD EGO BY BULLYING OTHERS AND TALKING ABOUT $%^@$&^$& CAPS FOR #$%#%^ SAKE!!! LOL

YOU LAY OFF THE CAPS!!

TO QUOTE THE DOCTOR TO 7 OF 9 FROM STAR TREK:

“I’LL COMPLAIN IF I WANT TO, IT’S COMFORTING!”

No one helps anyone else here.

THERE ARE QUESTIONS HERE THAT ARE 8 YEARS OLD, THAT DON’T EVEN HAVE A SINGLE ANSWER. APPALLING NON COMMUNITY!!

I WILL CALL OUT WHAT I SEE AND NOT BE TOLD TO SUPPRESS MYSELF!

YOU’RE PURPOSEFULLY GAS-LIGHTING ME, SAYING THERE IS A SOLUTION TO MY 8 MONTH PROBLEM. ITHINK I GET TO BE THE JUDGE OF THAT. SLIDING ALONG A STICKY STRANGE WALL, IS NOT BOUNCING OFF IT!

ENTIRE UNREAL GAMING COMMUNITY, UNABLE TO GENERATE A BOUNCE. NEWS AT 11…

I’ve always found that when I hit a brick wall, with something I’m working on, I just start it over completely from scratch. People tend to have a confirmation bias when it comes to their own work and think that just because something is working, up to a certain point, that they should stick with it.

My advice: Delete all of the code you’re using and start it over from scratch. Bust out some trig books and read up on how vectors work.

And like Nawrot said, directly modifying physics can bring on a lot of headaches.

My take on everything, overall, is that you do not want to take anyone’s advice on things and want to proclaim that everyone is bullying you, yet you’re the one ridiculing people constantly typing in caps…

@NextWorldVR I think you would’ve gotten an answer if not for the attitude, and blame. It’s sad that you havent enjoyed a game since 1993. With all your Hollywood stuff. Maybe try hiring it out to a coder if it’s this big of a difficulty for you.

Hey all,

I am all about helping each other and trying to figure out solutions together, but this thread quickly moved away from that so I am closing it. Please try to keep conversations on the forums civil and respectful.

Forum Guidelines