Download

learning blueprints, make map (or blueprint) first?

I’m reading/watching tutorials on blueprints. Should I have a simple map set up first or would an empty level suffice? The first blueprint I’m looking at making is “first person game mode”.

I have a small testing ground map where I have things like walls, vehicles etc to test things. for shooter its better to have a map to test things like tracers etc

Hi Harill,

It may depend on what your are wanting to achieve.

If you game mechanics are centered around how your map is laid out, then I would get a rough layout of the map setup so you can do meaningfull testing of the mechanics.
If you are just playing around with mechanics and have not yet fleshed out how they may need to interact with the world, then just play with mechanics.

It all really depends mate, not much of an answer :slight_smile:

Hope it helps,
Connor.

I’ve recently started using UE4 in an empty level with a couple things here and and there is fine. I think you want to prototype your stuff before you put it into a fancy environment :slight_smile:

I just wanted to get a grasp of blueprints and what type I might need to make a first person shooter.
I was thinking about a small area with a couple doors, maybe a light switch or two and some items that can be picked up.
Just the basics so I can see what blueprints is all about. The level won’t be used in game, just what I learn.

Concerning the level map. Would you create the game mode first or build the test map first? Or does it really matter?

There’s no right answer to this, except whichever keeps you motivated and working on the project long term.
Personally I can’t work in a grey world type map, I’d be tempted to take a virtual gun and put it to my head :stuck_out_tongue:

However, judging by the fact that so many demos and BP kits use basic grey levels, it comes down to personal preference.
I find if I can nail some core level design early on, in about a month, it sustains my interest in a project for a long time.

Whereas if I just have a empty map, I’m inclined to start a new one every time I have new ideas, which fragments progress.
I still use test maps, they’re handy for prototyping ideas and they take up less disk space and time in the interating process.

But eye candy is important to concept and story. If you have a map with interesting things, it will spawn interesting gameplay ideas…
So I often set-up test maps as a variations on the main one, so I can see how things would have turned if I’d made different choices.