Layered Material without Material Functions

Hello All,

I would like to put together a layered material without the use of material functions. I would like to create a master material with parameter nodes to create instances later. It should be easy to just use linear interpolate nodes with a mask to add various layers, but what I am most interested in is having the ability to turn on and off layers. For example, I would like to set up a base layer with diffuse, roughness/metal/ao, and normal control via texture maps, then layer on another set of textures (for dirt or rust, or ware, etc) using a mask. Is it possible to use a static switch parameter (or another node) to turn on or off the usability of an entire set of nodes? I can only figure out how to use a static switch parameter node for turning on and off the use of one map at a time, If true, use “dirt layer” diffuse, but I can’t figure out how to set up my material in a way to “use dirt layer”. Please let me know if that makes sense, or if I need to elaborate more.

Thank you for the help!

1. Put your scalar parameter into the switch.
  2. Create instance of material.
  3. Select the layers you want.

You’ll have to create a new instance for each variant you want. For example- one instance with the dirty switch off, and another instance with the dirty switch on. They will both reference the master material.

Great! I think this will work. Thank you for the suggestion!