Download

laptop for developing using ue4?

Hello i want to buy a laptop for use with ue4, i have saw a lot of threads talking about laptop for the ue4, i already know, i need at leas 8 gb of r.a.m., intel i7 or equivalent on amd side, but my doubts are in the 3d video card side.

i would like to know some experiences from other users using ue4 on a laptop, what will be the best 3d video card ? (nvidia or amd)?

the ue4 will run good enough over an amd r7 or r9 video card ?

thanks in advance for all the information.

I use an Alienware R5 17" laptop and it flies.

This thread has reports from several laptop users, including myself. I have an NVidea GTX 870M in my laptop and UE4 loves it.

Thats my laptop

Engine Version: 4.3.0
System Model: Lenovo Ideapad Y580
Graphics Card: Geforce GTX 660 M
Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
System Resolution During Test: 1920x1080

SCALABILITY SETTINGS
Resolution Scale: 100%
View Distance: Epic
Anti-Aliasing: Epic
Post Processing: Epic
Shadows: Epic
Textures: Epic
Effects: Epic

Editor Viewport FPS: 20
Play in Viewport FPS: 21

To develope with it, I always have to turn down the graphic settings to middle or low, otherwise it will lag :slight_smile:

This is the laptop I’m using. It’s working fine, could be better but it’s fine. I would recommend using two monitors though as the UE interface got a lot of different panels and views, and if you would want to utilize them in the most efficient way, you would need two monitors imo.
http://globalsp.ts.fujitsu.com/dmsp/Publications/public/ds-LIFEBOOK-NH532.pdf

fighter5347 what CPU is your laptop? and how much ram are you running?

What kind of projects are you developing with that lappie?

ram = 4gb
CPU = intel i7 3610 QM 2.3 GHz

Sometimes I use my laptop to develope my game caede (http://www.throwntogether.jshubner.de/) , but mainly I’m using my main PC for that :slight_smile:

thanks for the information, very helpfull, i think i will buy a laptop with a nvidia 770m video card, i think the 60 fps that it can be shows will be good enough to work when i’m away from my desktop computer.

thanks again for the help !

wow Caede looks pretty good

No wonder you need a good PC to develop something like that. Now I know why my old PC works great with UE4, I am more on cellphone and tablet kinda stuff.

When you have your new laptop, and UE4 installed, check and ensure under graphic properties> 3d settings that UE4 program(not just loader) is set to use correct graphics card, my laptop by default uses the integrated on-board card, mental. :slight_smile: