Download

Landscape Auto Material

It is not useless. You can use it for composing or LEARNING. We learnt a lot from it. Take out of it, what you need and make your own landscape material.

I use Unreal Engine to make games … not ArchViz, not composing. Hence in my instance it is useless. My point is and has always been that this should be identified on the marketplace as not designed for large maps and not optomised for games … if that had been stated then I would never have bought it.

The only thing you can learn from this is how NOT to make a landscape material for a game … so your point is moot because in my case it is a useless asset and will never be used.

I get your point. And you are right. But we made the best out of it and lernt a lot. :slight_smile:

Hello guys,
Optimization it is the actual topic for us and currently we’re researching different ways to increase performance significantly.
Currently you can use some tricks from Optimization section on our web site: http://www.veagames.com/how-to-use

The time spent to Unity release was more than planned but now we’ve back to actual performance research for UE4 LAM. We tried different variants of LAM optimization, and I think we can public some powerful results in the next v1.04 update.

That is good news indeed and I really look forward to seeing what you come up with.

The problem of a big fps drop on a huge landscape with LAM - Tesellation.
You need turn it off in Material properties to get a fine fps results - the checkbox for tessellation in LAM material instance unfortunately don’t turn’s off the tessellation system.

In case of the HUGE landscape setup 255x255 quads, 2x2 sections, 16x16 components, overall resolution 8161x8161:

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/1151cd_d8337fa3ca99494eb86c5d4cd0a7b265~mv2.png?dn=img-2016-09-22-02-18-23.png

Specs: i7-6700. 3.4GHz, 32GBRam

LAM
No Autograss setup: 102FPS

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/1151cd_a0089a699bae403cbcbbe52994f4dd5f~mv2.png?dn=img-2016-09-22-02-35-01.png

Default (Autograss) setup: **78 FPS **(if you still enable tessellation there will be 15fps)

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/1151cd_5c88d1a46e964181948558d3b2f1b622~mv2.png?dn=img-2016-09-22-02-36-16.png

Tropical Islands:
Default setup (no Autograss): 94 FPS

There is no tests with Tropical Islands autograss (it’s permanently in state “building grass maps (240…)” in the scene with same setup)

So there is no problems with material at all, but tessellation setup is need to be improved.

We plan next features in LAM v1.04:

• Make tessellation disabled by default
  • Parallax Occlusion Mapping (POM) as alternative for tessellation (tessellation still be available)
  • Add Quality Configuration - switching between customized grasstypes (grass shadows, density, lods of grass will be custom for diferrent setup)

Thank you very much for your feedback!

We want to improve quality of our products and your feedback is highly appreciated.
If you have any questions, ideas, suggestions, please feel free to contact our customer support (info@veagames.com).

@SDVenom - Thanks for the info. Your images aren’t showing unfortunately, but there is enough for me to try your tests as well and compare some results with the changes you mentioned.

I am glad to see you are going to look at the performance and make some changes, it is much appreciated. Thanks again for getting back to everyone and providing some options.

I hope the performance changes work out. I got this, and, have been looking for other solutions.
duel 1080GTX cards and i sit at 40FPS with LAM
I disabled tess and all foliage and i dont gain anything (you dont even want to know my foliage count hahaha)
Just removing LAM from the setup (the material from the landscape) i can easily push 100-120FPS without skipping a beat

It would be amazing to be able to just use this asset “as is” and not lose 50-75% of my total frames. Using this on a multiplayer game just isnt even in the cards as users would need massive HW to keep up (and imagine the server side of the calcs … ugh)

I hope the performance changes work out. I got this, and, have been looking for other solutions.
duel 1080GTX cards and i sit at 40FPS with LAM
I disabled tess and all foliage and i dont gain anything (you dont even want to know my foliage count hahaha)
I had to downgrade my map from 8k to 2k just to get some FPS overhead so that i could add all my foliage.
Just removing LAM from the setup (the material from the landscape) i can easily push 100-120FPS without skipping a beat

It would be amazing to be able to just use this asset “as is” and not lose 50-75% of my total frames. Using this on a multiplayer game just isnt even in the cards as users would need massive HW to keep up (and imagine the server side of the calcs … ugh)

Did you turned off Tessellation from Material setup (it’s NOT material instance setup), as I mentioned below?

@qdelpeche
I’ve updated links to screenshots from my previous post.

ah there it is!
thanks - i will turn it off from there!

Update:
hitting 100fps on single Asus ROG 1080GTX
Removed Tess and all auto-foliage

Do you plan to make an Example how to add more Layers? I want to add a Layer where i can Paint a Grid. I was able to add a Grid Layer what is transparent and always visible but not paintable.

Can you upload some screenshots of what you turned off. I turned off Tess in the main material but I am still getting 30 FPS. I have two 980TI and this is driving me crazy. Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Turned off the tess from main material and some other things, now i forget, since the update, it ended up overwriting all the settings.
Went back after update and only turned off tess.

While im here …
@SDVenom,
When using the auto foliage, the rocks dont have collision. Also, what foliage setup should i be changing to use different grass and rocks? I changed them all (that i think was all of them) and i got no changes …

How to remove rocks of the material added in landscape?

if you go into the material (not the master one), like the 5th thing down is the foliage, set it to 0. This will turn off the grass and rocks from LAM

Thank you soo much, but i need only remove the rocks but this dont have colision :S, or i need something to add collision only to rocks, i test adding collision box to all the rocks on my landscape but its very heavy of doing.

Sorry for my neandertal english :d

Oh, thats what i am asking about as well.

iirc, LAM relies on material-based foliage placement. I don’t think that supports foliage collision.

unfortunate - so i guess the question now is “how do i turn off just the rocks for this?”