Download

Issue with Blueprint -> Point Light -> Set Light Color

I know changing a light’s color has been an ongoing topic of debate in many forums. From what I’ve read, the internal light function of a light actor does not work. However, a light (in theory) can be changed dynamically using in the blueprint using a timeline with a “set light color” node. While this does… work-ish, it isn’t giving the desired result. The problem I am running into is: the color value of the light does not change unless the value on the timeline is set to zero (0). In otherwords it will toggle from 0 to whatever light value you have but say (10) in any channel RGB. It does not scale. So instead of a nice rolling fire effect I get a seizure enducing flicker. Here is a look at my setup and the timelines. I have tried a few methods.

Method 1: Using Color Track

I tried running the sequence using a color track. The light color did not change.

Method 2: Using a Vector Track for RGB values

I tried running the sequence using a Vector Track and converting a vector value to a linear color. The light will flicker if I set any of the tracks / keyframes to zero (0) but will not scale to any other value.

Method 3: Using three separate Float Tracks for RGB values

I tried running the sequence using a three separate Float Tracks and outputting those values to a Make Color node. The light will flicker if I set any of the tracks / keyframes to zero (0) but will not scale to any other value.