Is there a work around for certain UMG widgets missing OnMouseButtonDown events?

Hello. I’ve made a custom vertical box widget in C++ that I spawn programmatically and add to a scroll box widget through blueprints. Is there any way to add an OnMouseButtonDown event or something similar to it that extends to its whole area, or all the widgets inside of it? Here’s what the class looks like so far and it’s derived from a UHorizontalBox.

UCharSelectVerticalBox::UCharSelectVerticalBox()
{
	static ConstructorHelpers::FObjectFinder<UFont> Meiryo(TEXT("Font'/Game/Fonts/Meiryo.Meiryo'"));
	if(Meiryo.Succeeded() == false)
		DebugMessage("Failed to load Meiryo font");
	else
	{
		Typeface = Meiryo.Object;
	}
	TopBorder = NewObject<UBorder>();
	BottomBorder = NewObject<UBorder>();
	CharacterName = NewObject<UTextBlock>();
	CharacterClass = NewObject<UTextBlock>();
	LeftBorder1 = NewObject<UBorder>();
	RightBorder1 = NewObject<UBorder>();
	LeftBorder2 = NewObject<UBorder>();
	RightBorder2 = NewObject<UBorder>();
	HorizontalBox1 = NewObject<UHorizontalBox>();
	HorizontalBox2 = NewObject<UHorizontalBox>();
	FInfo.FontObject = Typeface;
	FInfo.Size = 20;
}

UCharSelectVerticalBox::~UCharSelectVerticalBox()
{

}

void UCharSelectVerticalBox::Initialize(const FString &CharName, const FString &CharClass)
{
	CharacterName->SetText(FText::FromString(CharName));
	CharacterName->SetFont(FInfo);
	CharacterClass->SetText(FText::FromString(CharClass));
	CharacterClass->SetFont(FInfo);

HorizontalBox1->AddChild(LeftBorder1);
	HorizontalBox1->AddChild(CharacterName);
	HorizontalBox1->AddChild(RightBorder1);
	UHorizontalBoxSlot *HorizontalBoxSlot1 = Cast<UHorizontalBoxSlot>(HorizontalBox1->GetSlots().Last());
	HorizontalBoxSlot1->SetSize(FSlateChildSize(ESlateSizeRule::Fill));
	HorizontalBoxSlot1->SetHorizontalAlignment(EHorizontalAlignment::HAlign_Right);

HorizontalBox2->AddChild(LeftBorder2);
	HorizontalBox2->AddChild(CharacterClass);
	HorizontalBox2->AddChild(RightBorder2);
	UHorizontalBoxSlot *HorizontalBoxSlot2 = Cast<UHorizontalBoxSlot>(HorizontalBox2->GetSlots().Last());
	HorizontalBoxSlot2->SetSize(FSlateChildSize(ESlateSizeRule::Fill));
	HorizontalBoxSlot2->SetHorizontalAlignment(EHorizontalAlignment::HAlign_Right);

AddChild(TopBorder);
	AddChild(HorizontalBox1);
	AddChild(HorizontalBox2);
	AddChild(BottomBorder);
}

void UCharSelectVerticalBox::Clicked()
{
	DebugMessage("Would be great if I could do this");
}

And a screenshot of it in action:

Basically what I want to achieve is a mouse click event that triggers whenever you click anywhere on the white border or within it. Is it possible to overlay an invisible button with a higher z order or something without taking up any space in the scroll box or horizontal box widgets they’re in? Or can I actually add a mouse button event to the horizontal box? The latter would be preferred but I’m open to suggestions and any help is appreciated, thanks :smiley:

Can you not bind an event?

I fixed this by changing the widget to an overlay which holds the vertical box as shown above and an invisible button on top of it with a higher z order that registers clicks :slight_smile:

Is it possible to bind generic events to any widget class or something? I looked around for that but couldn’t find anything.

I just noticed what I said didnt really make much sense. Can’t you extend/implement another widget which does have Mouse-related events?

Worst-case scenario, you can bind a small function which interprets where the mouse is clicking on the screen, if the class is of your BaseWidgeClass, then cal an abstract event OnMouseButtonDown.